M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so was the flapper in the up position, or in the stowed position? This give the "trap door" slang new meaning

No, I never noticed that section of text, thank god!
“Trap door” is funny 😀!
Oh, I read this part in the manual, laughed and went on to the next section which is actually quite good.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
First, let's read the entire passage.

“37. Early Firing Exercise and Recoil Demonstration.

“A recoil demonstration and an early-firing exercise should be conducted for soldiers who have little or no previous marksmanship experience. The recoil demonstration will clearly show soldiers that they have nothing to fear from recoil if they handle the weapon properly. The early firing exercise is designed to motivate soldiers toward marksmanship training.

“a. Recoil Demonstration. A recoil demonstration should be conducted before the soldier fires the service rifle for the first time. The demonstration is fired by a well-trained rifleman. He fires the first round while holding the rifle to his side, in one hand. Next, he fires a round while holding the butt of the weapon tightly against his thigh. The third round is fired with the rifle butt pressed firmly against the demonstrator's groin. A fourth round is fired with the butt of the rifle placed firmly against the pit of the stomach. The final round will usually convince even the most skeptical, since it is fired with the rifle butt pressed firmly against the demonstrator's chin. As long as the demonstrator keeps the rifle butt pressed firmly against his body, he will have no difficulty in performing the demonstration. The soldiers should be instructed in the principle of pressing the butt firmly against the body to avoid the effects of recoil.”

- - -​

I remember in Basic Training the first time on the range this demonstration was given (albeit with an M16A1). Those of us that had shot before were unimpressed, the non-shooters, however, were less scared of recoil for the most part.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Perform the demonstration with the M16: you get extra PT for being a wimp.
Perform the demonstration with the M14: Get back in line soldier, you did what was expected. What, did you think you were getting a cookie?
Perform the demonstration with the M82: You get one week of leave. Any of it not used for medical is your time.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Perhaps in combat one may have to fire with one hand, but other than that wouldn't one hand firing be considered very unsafe? I'm reminded of the u tube of a cop giving a handgun demo and shooting himself in the leg.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I think some of you are missing the point of this paragraph.

"The demonstration is fired by a well trained marksman." (aka the instructor or his/her assistant)

This is not something the trainee is suppose to demonstrate, but something the instructor(s) demonstrate to Private "Nevershotagunbefore" so he is not terrified of the massive and uncontrollable recoil of an M14.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts