M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
They were showing these at the NRA convention in Houston last year as well as the Dallas Safari Club convention. Got to play with them, really cool. Although kind of defeats the purpose of training how to shoot. I heard they were trying to get a military contract on the rifles. Believe the company is out of Austin, TX iirc.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I should add looks like a kick azz tool. Just like a laser range finder we need to start at basics and learn how to range estimate and mil a target on a unknown distance range. Does this system have a back up in case of sight failure?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
During my lifetime,I've seen lots of new inventions that were going to "change the way mankind lives". Microwave oven, Segway scooter, digital everything, GPS, cure for polio, and the list goes on...

I am living amongst the dumbest creatures that ever walked the face of the earth.

The Laws of Nature continue to remain consistent after thousands of years.

If a human can't build a fire, navigate by the sun or secure drinking water......... These new inventions will go the way of the cassette tape player.

Thanks,

Hobo

·
Registered
483 Posts
During my lifetime,I've seen lots of new inventions that were going to "change the way mankind lives". Microwave oven, Segway scooter, digital everything, GPS, cure for polio, and the list goes on...

I am living amongst the dumbest creatures that ever walked the face of the earth.

The Laws of Nature continue to remain consistent after thousands of years.

If a human can't build a fire, navigate by the sun or secure drinking water......... These new inventions will go the way of the cassette tape player.

Thanks,

Hobo

I agree Hobo. Besides, anyone that can afford to drop $20,000 on a "hunting rifle" can just as easily let his guide take the long shot. Either way it's not HIS trophy. The rifle is cool though.

BTW, I still have my cassettes.....somewhere.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Maybe this thing really can factor in wind speed, wind gusts, and variable wind direction downrange, also compensate for mirage effect and allow for movement of the target. Maybe, but I don't believe it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I saw one in person. Look at the price tag on this bad boy. Over 27K$.. It has a Surgeon Chassis, not sure what barrel, but its a 338Lapua, Chassis is an Accuracy International

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
What happens when the equipment malfunctions? Back-up sights, maybe? Best to the person who can afford this new toy. My bank account said I must continue to shoot "old school"...10x scope, iron sights, etc.

Regards,
D1

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wonder if...

batteries are included ? Seems the advent of robotic advances to the work-force in an attempt to replace the human factor has reached our end of the swamp. Just think ! For the paltry sum of 27K one can be transferred into something they ain't ! Namely a person of great ability and talent...until the batteries quit. Then what ? Run like hell! Wonder if the laptop can snoop and poop in the tall grass like a REAL shooter...and I guess the bright sun would call for a cease fire until one could see the damn screen, Huh?
Some efforts of man to duplicate talents and abilities they have seen on TV are so misguided.......
If I see a 12 year old girl trying a 1000 yard shot at anything alive....well, the irresponsiblity lies with the provider and the lack of teaching...sort'a like Sandy Hook I guess.

I quess if she "maggies" she can blame the computer? and if she actually kills an innocent person..who gets the trial in the media? Can't blame the weapon or can you?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Total crap! It takes more than gizmos and tech to make a sniper. It can't compensate for breathing, position, trigger pull, and etc. Plus, if they really wanted to get to you, they would and have used a drone.
Something like that with such sophisticated electronics has and will continue to malfunction, and then who is going to take the shot?

·
Registered
501 Posts
This weapon system will never replace a (Sniper). A Sniper is a TRADE. Its not just someone that can shoot really good. I think its mostly the media and forums that are hyping this weapon up. This is just another tool in the toolbox. Why wouldnt optics advance with technology? Internal combustion engines have been around forever. And look how efficient and powerful they have become. Im glad to see this technology making its way to our side.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Might make you an assisted shooter but never a true sniper who best learn to read natures signs

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Taking the shot...........

Total crap! It takes more than gizmos and tech to make a sniper. It can't compensate for breathing, position, trigger pull, and etc. Plus, if they really wanted to get to you, they would and have used a drone.
Something like that with such sophisticated electronics has and will continue to malfunction, and then who is going to take the shot?
----------------
Answer - The old guy with a conventional weapon, a compass in his pocket, iron sights, a dagger in his boots and a big enough set of b _ _ _ s to sneak up on his target after waiting patiently for the right moment. Old age and treachery.

Hobo

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I posted this thread to prove to my mother that you will never replace the training(countless rounds) that go in to making a human,...a machine so to speak. Of course the mind being our machine that will never be replaced by a machine. Whew. That was a mouth full.
She brought this up and now, with all the variables I tried to convey to her, she didn't want to talk about it anymore(of course she said the latter with a huge smile and said it in a whiny voice) love that woman. Anywho, I agree with all who find this contraption cool....but yes, a theoretical "tool" that functions on the range very well...aka..without taking fire.
Good talk fellas. I can show my mother that I am not the only one who thinks like this.

Deuces

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I shot more practice rounds of ammo (.308Win/7.62x51mm) out of a bolt gun, than I ever did with a machine gun. Just about every other day was range day and even in the reserves it was the same. That's why I've never been recoil shy. RNGR1

I posted this thread to prove to my mother that you will never replace the training(countless rounds) that go in to making a human,...a machine so to speak. Of course the mind being our machine that will never be replaced by a machine. Whew. That was a mouth full.
She brought this up and now, with all the variables I tried to convey to her, she didn't want to talk about it anymore(of course she said the latter with a huge smile and said it in a whiny voice) love that woman. Anywho, I agree with all who find this contraption cool....but yes, a theoretical "tool" that functions on the range very well...aka..without taking fire.
Good talk fellas. I can show my mother that I am not the only one who thinks like this.

Deuces

·
Registered
531 Posts
I shot more practice rounds of ammo (.308Win/7.62x51mm) out of a bolt gun, than I ever did with a machine gun. Just about every other day was range day and even in the reserves it was the same. That's why I've never been recoil shy. RNGR1
During ranges and quals in school we shot anywhere between 200- 300 rounds a day. Not gonna lie, at the end it took everything I had to not anticipate recoil. And my eye was so tired looking through 10x that it bounced around like a pinball on meth.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts