M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Looking to get my boy his first rifle- 7 year old. He's been plinking targets with a lever-action pellet gun since he was 4, and a pretty good shot with bow and arrow.

Anyone here have any recommendations for a decent bolt action .22? A half decent quality one that'll last for when my daughter reaches his age?

Thanks
G

·
Super Moderator
3,756 Posts
I have not done a ton of research on this - but I have a .22 Marlin with a tubular magazine.

All I can tell you -> is that I learned with it back in the late 60's, I started my son with this for his first bolt action to learn how to cycle rounds and later acquire objects as I put a scope on it later etc.

Now - I am going to refinishing this for my grandson who is about 1 year old now, but will get this as his first bolt action rifle. So this one will be through at least three generations. My son is a Active Duty Army Recon PL/Officer and can shoot anything "very accurately!"

Here is a link just to look - I am sure many good options exist today.

Good Luck - M1Army

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/981T.asp

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Take a look at the CZ 452, it is an excellent first rifle.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I purchased a used Anschutz Achiever for my grandson when he was seven. The Anschutz was $100 more than the CZ I was looking for but it came with target aperture sights. I had hoped that he would become interested in competitive shooting. He did not want to shoot rifle competitively. He is 22 now and still able to use the Achiever with the spacers that came with the rifle. The CZ has basic sights but is very accurate and with spacers in the stock it can be used by adults.

There are other manufactures like Savage that offer good starter rifles that will last more than a lifetime with proper care.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,025 Posts
Model 70PSS .22 Marlin. A take down model, the one I bought my son when he was 11.

DI5

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Savage makes the Rascal.
Ruger's American has an adjustable stock.

The CZ4xx just makes me jealous.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have a Winchester 9422 that is one of the best guns I've owned. I got it when I was a kid back in the 80's and that thing works great even now. They are collectible now and pricey. Winchester does do a run of these rifles every so often. If you can find one for a decent price, I would jump on it. Best quality .22 you'll find, at least for a lever gun.

My second recommendation (another lever gun) would be either of the Henry offerings: Golden Boy or the step down from that. My daughter has one of the non-Golden Boy models (can't remember the model) and it's a good shooter. The Golden Boy is just beautiful and worth the money.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have a Winchester 9422 that is one of the best guns I've owned. I got it when I was a kid back in the 80's and that thing works great even now. They are collectible now and pricey. Winchester does do a run of these rifles every so often. If you can find one for a decent price, I would jump on it. Best quality .22 you'll find, at least for a lever gun.

My second recommendation (another lever gun) would be either of the Henry offerings: Golden Boy or the step down from that. My daughter has one of the non-Golden Boy models (can't remember the model) and it's a good shooter. The Golden Boy is just beautiful and worth the money.
Sorry, missed where you said you were looking for a bolt gun. Still, those lever guns are just plain awesome. They are very accurate, too. Don't let anyone tell you they aren't.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
I've owned a few .22 LR. The one I kept after all these years is my Marlin 60. Love the tube fed ones. Cheap too and quite accurate for what they are.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For youth I've always suggested start with a bolt action, makes them think more on each shot.

Savage Mark II BRJ- Great out of the box Take a hard look at the laminated stock model Stay away from the thumb hole stocks for trainer rifles IMHO

CZ 452- One of the best trainer rifles if you are going to mount an optic it has a lot of drop in the stock and would need to build up a cheek rest

Anschutz - One of the 1416 models, top tier and heirloom quality

They may be heavy for him at first but they do grow up FAST. Also think of if you are after a trainer rifle or an heirloom for him to hang on too? How about a .17 cal instead?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your input and personal experiences everyone. Having a wee look around I'd even consider a .223 for him...what would your opinion be on that caliber?
The bolt action idea I had was just for my own piece of mind but...thinking about it he is very mature/calm natured for his age (takes after his mother thankfully lol).

Im seeing the CZ getting most of the vote I'll have to check them in the flesh for sure though

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 4 started out with a chipmunk. 22 bolt action made by rogue rifle co.
Single shot bolt gun, you have to pull back a spring loaded firing pin after cycling the bolt to fire it, nice little safety feature, it's very compact and accurate.

http://www.chipmunkrifles.com/chipmunk_aboutus.php
I'll second the Chipmunk. Got one for my son. When he got older, I gave him a Marlin 60 and handed the Chipmunk down to my daughter. Now that she has outgrown it, I tote it around some to keep it in use until I get grand children. Nice little rifles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I really like the CZ 22lr bolt action rifles.

My friend had an old savage 22lr with a big nice scope on it. Single shot, no magazine or tube. Really fun and accurate until the barrel got lead fouling after a handful of rounds and groups got horrible. I borrowed that and learned the basics very well.

Another suggestion is find an old Savage 24 over under with 22lr on top and shotgun on bottom. Those are fun too, though maybe not as safe.

Regarding .223 - I say don't do it. Very loud, more expensive, not as useful for squirrels and rabbits if he wants to hunt for food, and really not as fun IMO.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.