M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most Walmart stores, though not all, seem to carry it as well as some other food chains. Its frozen yeast bread. What I tried was a 3 pack for $3.06 so $1.02 per loaf of bread. Just follow the instructions. A friend turned me on to it when I was having trouble getting bread to properly rise due to weather.

As the dough starts thawing & rising you can break up the loaf to make rolls, bread sticks, etc.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I've been meaning to get back into making bread from scratch. I used to love the fresh baked product so much, and the store product so little, that I actually learned how to do it in my 20s, got very good at it if I do say so, but then got out of the habit. Maybe it was the people cursing me for getting home from Nights and waking them up in the very early hours with the smell of fresh baking bread- it must have been terrible for them. RNGR1

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Takes several hours for the dough to thaw & then rise. And don't throw it in the oven before its done rising. It is very tasty bread though.

For cost, easy to make it, & taste I think its something to consider for short term outages. Baking temperature I could bake it in my gas grill if needed.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,200 Posts
I nade a loaf of simple Ciabatta bread today, it is a very easy recipe. It turned out pretty good. It has a good crust and is soft inside, I got 4 good size squares for making sandwiches after all the taste testing was done, It did nor raise as it should but that was my fault, I am going to make another here in a couple of days...

http://allrecipes.com/video/3836/how-to-make-ciabatta-bread/detail.aspx

Casey

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Suppose to let it thaw then rise 1" higher then the bread pan then bake. It will rise alittle more then that as it bakes. And I have mutiple means of getting ovens to 350 for baking the bread.
Makes a pretty good rising crust pizza dough also.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I've been meaning to get back into making bread from scratch. I used to love the fresh baked product so much, and the store product so little, that I actually learned how to do it in my 20s, got very good at it if I do say so, but then got out of the habit. Maybe it was the people cursing me for getting home from Nights and waking them up in the very early hours with the smell of fresh baking bread- it must have been terrible for them. RNGR1
Nothing better than fresh super crusty bread in the morning with a bit of butter and honey. I used to set my bread maker to finish baking to about ten minutes before my alarm went off(keeping it PG).

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I have a friend who works extensively with some Amish folks.

They buy the same frozen bread, . . . take it home, . . . let it thaw and rise, . . . bake it in their wood fired oven, . . . and sell it along the highway as "Amish Baked Bread".

Ingenuity at it's finest.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being in Florida, I don't put things in the sun to thaw as it will be partially baking at the same time.

Anyone that hasn't tried the Rhodes frozen bread all I can say is you don't know what you are missing.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Higher up inside the oven for baking & crust is less hard. Also, half way threw baking if you butter the top it is even softer. As for myself, I don't like the outside being hard & crusty.

Keep in mind the bread will rise another 1/2" or so while baking.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts