M14 Forum banner

Rhode Island, mag ban. Actual ownership ban over 10 rounds.

2437 46
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hold on. " . . . gives current owners of high-capacity magazines six months to modify them, surrender them to police or transfer them to people in states where they are legal."

Is that a "taking?" The transfer and surrender parts sure sound like it. I'm thinking there is still a Fifth Amendment with a "takings clause" made applicable to state actions by the 14th Amendment.

I love the smell of a lawsuit in the morning . . . it's the smell of billable hours.

So far as running down a whole state based on the actions of their leaders. Not me. I ain't prejudiced. I just think the whole bunch of them are filthy little talking chimps.
$5000 fine if caught with one after the law takes effect,, or 5 year jail term.

·
Registered
11,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been looking at Vermont - they are Democrats but got their firearms restrictions in decent mixture. Other than the magazine and age restrictions, VT is more gun-friendly than TX.

Even TX just recently won their open-carry pistol legislation. And we think TX to be the most gun-friendly state, it is not. Their concealed laws will land you in jail if you are not careful..if you are CCW. Concealed to them ..is concealed. If anyone saw your concealed will land you in jail.
All the states are a mixed bag of good and bad gun laws. A mag ban thats not a ban was recently passed here in WA state. It only says no further manufacture, sales or transfers of high cap mags after July 1.
Current ownership is grandfathered. In effect what they did was tell everyone to go out and buy up all the high cap mags before 7-1, which many obliged putting many more of them into private hands than before the ban was passed. Seems a bit counterproductive for their desires. There is no possession ban, fines or jail time.
In short the ban is a joke, though no further sales will be allowed.

On the other hand with concealed carry, WA is a "shall issue" state. Only thing you need do is pay the fee and pass the background check. Good for 5 years.

·
Registered
11,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm from Texas and it ain't that bad. Most places don't have any signs unless you go to liberals cesspools like Austin etc. I carry owb with my shirt untucked so basically I'm somewhat open carrying. Of course I'm from a small town. I don't think about it unless I go to the big city which for me would DFW.
Open carry is also legal here in WA, but not necessarily recommended depending your location. Walk downtown Seattle with a big ol hogleg on your hip and probably find yourself on the ground in cuffs.

·
Registered
11,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I look at this quite differently. For starters, what happen when the next new Wonder9 handgun comes out? You aren't going to be able to own any standard capacity magazines. You get the California treatment.

What about folks who move into the state? They are screwed.

What if you lose your 'grandfathered' mags in a theft of fire? That's not a pleasant thought.

What about the next unborn generation? Your grandkids maybe. Hope you had enough to leave them something.

I take the position that laws like this will get revised incrementally if they don't accomplish the goals, which they rarely do. There may be no teeth in it now, but 2 years from now you may get the "5 Years in jail, $10K fine, felony / lose firearms and vote" penalties.
Lot of what ifs there. I look at it this way. I dont like that they passed the so called mag ban, thats not a ban. OK. What am I supposed to do about it?

Nobody asked me if I thought a mag ban was a good idea, strange how that works! So it is what is is, we have to live within that framework, like it or not, or move.
At nearly 69 years of age and owning outright everything I possess, I aint moving again.
I will just have to shuffle along with things as they are till they shovel dirt in my face. I dont have enuf time left on the planet to be pissed off all the time about something I cannot change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts