M14 Forum banner

RG 4895 Powder(British)??

2760 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  smoothy8500
Anyone out there using this powder for reloads of their M14's?? Have load data as per mfg. for 42grs, LC Brass, 34mil primer, but wondering about actual experience with the powder. All feedback appreciated.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,149 Posts
Please Tell us you you have a reloading manual.In the Hornady Manual there is a section just for the M14

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bullet weight is 147FMJBT and yes, do have fair amount of load data, but interested in performance accuracy wise w/ the powder/bullet combination. Currently have 8lb jug of the powder and opportunity to obtain quite a bit more at favorable pricing and may stock up on it for just field use, not for match purposes.

· Registered
152 Posts
I am using 44 grs under a 155 gr hpbt in my M1A and 42.5 grs under a 168 gr hpbt. Using RP cases, CCI-250 primers. This is working very well for me. I just crimped 10 of each with my lee factory crimp die and will see tomorrow how this does as well.

I am also loading 35grs of RG4895 in my 38-55, CCI-250 primers WW Cases, 255 gr Barnes original, very pleasant load.

This powder likes a compressed load and hot primers.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hamourkiller,
Thanks for the feedback. I have loaded up couple mags worth using 42grs w/ 147fmj, LC new primed brass and this should be an ok load pressure wise. Have read that the mil spec #34 mil primer is similar to magnum primer and can produce "hot" loads if not careful w/ charge of powder. Will try a few as loaded and have large quantity of WC846
and will try some of that as well.

· Registered
152 Posts
hamourkiller,
Thanks for the feedback. I have loaded up couple mags worth using 42grs w/ 147fmj, LC new primed brass and this should be an ok load pressure wise. Have read that the mil spec #34 mil primer is similar to magnum primer and can produce "hot" loads if not careful w/ charge of powder. Will try a few as loaded and have large quantity of WC846
and will try some of that as well.
Be careful with low pressure loads with this powder! As I stated earlier it likes to act like a ball powder, not stick powder. 95 to 105% loading density is desired. The 44 gr load has worked well for me with the 150 gr class bullets and is accurate, lower powder charges acted like it was getting partial burns (variations in muzzle flash, retort, and bad accuracy) A full case and hot primer solved this issue.

I would make a serries of loads 42, 43 and 44 grs with Mag primers with the 150 gr bullets. Then see how they perform

If you want a low pressure load go to IMR-4895 and save the RG-4895 for full bore loads. This pull down powder is finicky but is good for its intended purpose, full bore ball ammo for 7.62mm

Good luck and safe shooting

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, good advise. I have fair amount of IMR4895 and have used it for years but since ending up with the RG4895 hoping it would work for casual/field use and save the IMR for match purposes. Weather permitting will go to local range next week and report on results.

· Registered
2,846 Posts
44 grs under 155 FMJ works great in my Bush rifle, Rem 700, and NM M1A. CCI 200 primers.

This is a slow burning powder to have the 4895 designation.

I was getting sooty cases at 42 gr.

· Registered
3,763 Posts
I recently got a 8# jug of RG 4895 and worked up some loads for my Garand that seemed to work fine. One interesting thing was that in comparasin to IMR 4895, same bullet, brass and primer, the RG got similar chrono velocity using a full 2 grains less powder. I plan on working up some 7.62 loads next.

· Registered
1,393 Posts
I have a jug of the stuff but I have not messed with it much so far. I did load up some M1 Garand ammo with 46 grains of it, CCI 34, and a Nosler 168 CC and it shot very well. However, the muzzle flash was amazing. I am sure those loads were not up to 95% of case capacity or load density suggested above so maybe that is why the muzzle flash was huge. I plan on trying some in my ARs and in my M1A but have not gotten around to it.

BTW....my M1A Scout loves the 155 Amax, CCI 34, and Ramshot TAC; anyone else using TAC?

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pleased to report load of 42gr/RG4895, LC w/#34 primers, 147FMJ works fine in my rifle.
No pressure signs, primer indentation normal, no "blowback" on necks, and accuracy good at both 100 and 200yds. Ejected cases come out at approx. 2 o'clock and some few feet from rifle, makes for ease in finding. Using HOPCO/FastFireII set up and 6 o'clock hold on SR targets and able to keep in 10 ring w/ X's prone/sling. Five shot groups something over 1.5moa. Going to range this AM w/ same case, powder, load, but using 155 Plama bullets this time out plus going on out to 300yd line if I can wade thorugh the mud. Don't view the FMJ bullets as most accurate bullets, but fine for casual shooting at the metal gongs we have at the range. Will see how the Palma bullets do at the 300yd line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.