M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a seriously addicted knife accumulator I am surprised I did not find one sooner.

I just received a decent condition Imperial marked M5A1 with a virgin blade bevel, and was not sure how disgusted/offended to be when I discovered the blade had been re-welded to the handle, in the middle of the hand grip section where the plastic grips cover the tang. The welded area is "in the white" and does not even fill in the full width of the tang, and was not reparked. Is this common? One more pitfall for collectors?

Fortunately, my fatherinlaw (a WW2 vet) always has room in HIS collection display case for my "excess stock", heck, I don't even own a Garand, "what was I thinking!?"...

Paladin

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
the blade had been re-welded to the handle, in the middle of the hand grip section where the plastic grips cover the tang. The welded area is "in the white" and does not even fill in the full width of the tang, and was not reparked. Is this common?
My guess is your bayonet comes from a demil that is quite old. It is not too common today. There are so many bayonets in country that I would doubt it is being done today. Since 1986 when the laws changed many thousands of American bayonets came in from all over the world.

The government demilled probably a few hundred thousand bayonets of all types during the 1970's and early 1980's. Welding them back together was a favorite of one of the larger SGN advertisers. Sometimes rewelded bayonets can be spotted by the selling price. The ones that show up at gunshows usually are a lot cheaper than good solid ones.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.