M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread on here about shooting bullseye with 1911's and other auto pistols. I decided to start a new thread about revolvers that are suited for bullseye competition, here are a couple photos of my N frame S&W 25-2 in .45acp / .45 auto rim with a six inch barrel. It is more accurate than I am, and it really makes me look good! I have a set of Arhends grips on it, they are excellent. All of the cylinder throats measure .452, it is a great shooter with my lyman cast 200 gr. swc over 6 gr unique. I set the front band out of the case, it shoots great! At 50 yards I can tear up a big empty five pound can of baked beans offhand. This is one of those guns that I will pass down to my son. But until I kick the can it is mine!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
How sweet that gun is. I would love to have a 25. I have a K-22 and a K-38. I shoot the K-38 in DR matches but have never shot it in a center fire match.

Reactions: m1476251

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I won a few local matches with a 6" Colt Python, shooting 2.7 grains of Bullseye behind a 148-gr wadcutter.

Reactions: dozier and m1476251

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I am at it, does anyone load for the .45 auto rim? Maybe 250 gr. or heavier cast bullets? I have shot 230 gr. .45acp in this revolver, the lighter 200 gr. cast bullets shoot much better, at least so far! I like the idea of a heavier bullet to really lay the smack down if needed!

Dillon makes a 550 .45 auto rim conversion, so of course I have to try it!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I've not starting loading for it yet, but have a lot of ammo for it already, and will reload it when the time comes. The heavy base of the .45 Auto Rim is perfect for .45 Super performance in my S&W 625.

When I carry it, I have the .45 Auto Rim in the cylinder, and .45 ACP in full moon clips if I have any extras with me.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember right, RNS posted about loading .45 auto rim last year. Maybe he will chime in if he can take time away from his womanizing!! I'll bet he is dreaming about Hillary in that spandex outfit again!! I didn't forget RNS!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have a 6" Model 25-2 but the cylinder throats are .455-.456. Leading is unacceptable. It's plenty accurate with FMJ bullets though. My 5" Model 625 is delightful shooting anything though. Balance is just about perfect.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,406 Posts
True, I loved revolvers for target shooting and shoot them much better than autos, I loved my S & W 6 1/2" model 629.
m14brian

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've got to find another wheel gun.

I used to shoot PPC when I worked for NC Dept of Correction in the late '70s. I had a S&W Model 66 that I used in Service Revolver class. It was a lot of fun, simpler than active combat-style shooting like IDPA. Love to find another 66, or a 19.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was reading a thread on here about shooting bullseye with 1911's and other auto pistols. I decided to start a new thread about revolvers that are suited for bullseye competition, here are a couple photos of my N frame S&W 25-2 in .45acp / .45 auto rim with a six inch barrel. It is more accurate than I am, and it really makes me look good! I have a set of Arhends grips on it, they are excellent. All of the cylinder throats measure .452, it is a great shooter with my lyman cast 200 gr. swc over 6 gr unique. I set the front band out of the case, it shoots great! At 50 yards I can tear up a big empty five pound can of baked beans offhand. This is one of those guns that I will pass down to my son. But until I kick the can it is mine!!
I saw 2 of these at a pawn shop on the west side of the state a couple of months ago, The owner tells me no one is interested in them ?
I really can't comment further on one since I've never shot one.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Currently S&W 25-2's in good condition start around $700 and excellent condition with factory box will sell for $1200+ on Gunbroker. You might want to take a closer look at those pawn shop Smiths!

They will not go down in value! I take very good care of mine but it gets shot on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Top pick, a Python

Next would be a performance center Smith. But nothing is quite a Python.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Top pick, a Python

Next would be a performance center Smith. But nothing is quite a Python.
From the prices of a Python lately it seems many agree with you!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
From the prices of a Python lately it seems many agree with you!
I got my circa blued 81 6" Python for a grand. A friend paid $2700 for his circa 71 Python. Mine is cleaner, with it being like new and perfect original grips. His box is clean, but the grips show some damage, light chips. But that is the extremes one might see out there. On average $1900 for one. I'm going to try and snag a 4" stainless eventually despite the cost. They're just that wonderful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts