M14 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

TM 9-1005-222-12, 17 March 1969 covers the M1, M1C and M1D with equipment. This manual is a little on the weak side for a real hard core enthusiast. The manual's illustration are mostly tear down and has no high level information. It does go into the M84 Telescope but excludes the M1C and M1D mounting systems. Those two systems are higher level repair. This manual is strictly geared toward the Individual Soldier and the Unit Armorer. We can see levels 1 & 2 in the numercal sequence of the manual's designation.

This manual is 8 1/4 x 10 3/4 format. It has a very good pictorial of rifle disassembly, some low level trouble shooting, items like the M5 Winter Trigger Kit and M10 Cleaning Rod, and a very limited listing of parts cross referenced to Federal Stock Numbers and Ordnance Drawing Numbers. I would say this manual is good for the beginner but lacks any real in depth information for the advanced collector. Remember anything shown in this manual is for either the operator or unit armorer. Unfortunately this manual does not go into any of the gages or ordnance tools authorized at unit level. Why, I don't know.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give this one a 6.

This manual is not to be mistaken for the smaller manual that is offered commercially as a reprint. That manual is 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 format and consists of a mixture of commercially done photos and information, along with some military formatted information. The person who originally printed it 20 years ago used the same designation as the military manual being reviewed here. It is sold on many websites, on eBay, and in the Shotgun News. It is sold for about 1/2 the price of the GI manual, which today is not too easily found, but does show up for sale.

Click to learn more about Technical Manuals from the 1960's.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.