M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WTS a nice retro Colt A1 upper.

Barrel is marked "C MP B", chrome lined 1:12" twist. Chamber, throat and bore appear excellent. Throat erosion gages identical to a new Colt A1 barrel on an arsenal chrome bore erosion gage. With a new Colt BCG used for testing, headspace was good- did not close on a .223 Rem NO GO gage. (BCG NOT included!) Finish on the barrel is about 95%+ with just some park wear from the top edges of the front sight ears. Total round count on this barrel is not known, but given the appearance, finish, and gage readings I'd say it's not many.

Flash suppressor is standard Colt A1 birdcage with lockwasher.

Front sight tower is marked with a C and the bell symbol, and has the forging flash machined off the front and rear. Bayonet lug is intact of course...

Upper is a nice Colt medium gray in excellent condition. Forge codes C K, light VP and C-box proofs ahead of ejection port. Correct ejection port dust cover and forward assist. Finish is about 95% with just a few tiny nicks here and there, the worst being two scratches on the forward edges of the carry handle above the gas tube that look like they may have been caused by storage in a rifle rack.

Handguards are excellent, no cracks or breaks, excellent heatshields, and are retained by a slipring in excellent condition that matches the receiver gray.

Based on what I can find out about the markings and the machining of the front sight this is a transitional barrel made sometime probably between 1970-1973.

I just fired this upper for function and BZO (again, using one of my Colt BCGs which is not included in the sale). Function was 100% with 20 rounds of Federal XM193 LC07, BZO at 25 meters was 10 clicks elevation from flush on front and 5 clicks right of center on rear sight. This will be a good shooter.

$375 now $350 plus shipping plus shipping, complete as described, no BCG or charging handle.

First "I'll take it" followed by a PM gets it. DI5

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Parts to complete

OK, I dug around and was able to come up with a perfect matching charging handle. The hardest part of building a retro upper is getting all of the parts to match since Colt used so many different shades of gray through the years.

I will offer the matching Colt gray charging handle to the buyer of the upper for $35, and your matching parts problems are over... at least for the upper.

I also have a complete Colt semi-auto BCG, used less than 1000 rounds in a Colt HBAR that I shot a few matches with. The BCG is in good condition, moderate park wear to the rails on the BC, and some peening of the corners of the "exposed firing pin" cut in the hammer cocking ramp on the bottom of the BC, which is typical for Colt semi BCs. Tested HS in the A1 upper, bolt closes on a .223 Rem Go gage, does not close on a .223 Rem No-Go gage. Note this is a "half-circle" semi-auto Colt AR-15 BCG.

Complete Colt semi BCG available to the purchaser of the upper only, for $150.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SPF to cda97 MCORPS1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts