M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have a question ,,I was taking my rear sights off,becuz I decided to go back to open sights,when I took off windage knob,it fell apart,there is a small nut and a ring that came out,and a spent 2 hours trying to put it back in,,is there a trick to it or should I buy a new windage knob.the rifle is a 2015 m1a springfield loaded..

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,725 Posts
It requires special tooling. Send me a PM. I have the tools and spare parts to repair the elevation pinion.

Oh gee.... I misread the OP and thought he was referring to the elevation pinion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well,i bought this rifle in November 2015,i bought a sadlak airbourne mount,and weaver grand slam adjustable rings..The problem was the weaver adjustable rings,I kept breaking the picatinny tabs,i broke 8 tabs,This past Monday at the range I broke one within 3 shots under recoil..I don't know why I kept breaking the tabs,so this is it.I will scope it this winter,I assume when I send it back to springfield to have it bedded,i would have to take the scope and mount off anyway..I think next year it will have burris offset mounts with inserts.,,but anyway,i never lubed up the sights,so I thought I would lube them and the windage drum came out in 3 pieces,and the retainer ring went flyin.so I will by a new windage drum now,ARE ALL WINDAGE DRUMS THE SAME AS IN DETENT BALL?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ever since I got this rifle,i could see that shiney steel was showing around the windage knob, just below surface..so it look like the retaining ring was twisted a little,

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,725 Posts
I've had some issues with SAI manufactured windage knobs coming apart. Another quality control issue?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah I think I will call springfield this am ,and see if I can get a new one,,this winter,i am going to have it matched out,so I think they get switched out to NM sights with hood,

·
Registered
704 Posts
Putting the Windage Knobs together is not really simple. I have repaired some of my NM Windage Knobs with the guts from Issue Knobs. I made a base and press punch of sorts to use in an arbor press, and even then, it is not simple.

Danny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.