M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got several USGI FG stocks that need a little love, but I'm a virgin when it comes to restoration. All I've got on the way so far is an automotive fiberglass repair kit (Bondos) and some Duracoat paint.

Ears open to all advice, but I've also got a few questions.

Do I need to sand the stock? A few have slight blemishes, but feel smooth to the touch. If I do need to sand, then do you recommend anything in particular?

Also, one of the textured grips has been partially sanded off. Should I leave it as is, sand it off completely, or sand the grips on both sides of the stock to make it uniform? I'm not skilled enough to recreate the texture.

Is there anywhere I can get the textured paint Springfield Armory used on USGI FG to cover blemishes? It looks and feels great, in my opinion.

Just about all of the stocks have one unique problem that I'm going to have to solve, but I'm looking forward to making them beautiful again.

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Fiberglass stocks need to be stripped down to the bare fiberglass, which is brown with white strands.

I use the orange colored stripping gel, because it is safe and water soluble. Brush it on, let it dry. Remove with a wet stripping pad. Repeat as needed.

It is a slow process, but does not damage the fiberglass. Unless you are a using a paint designed for plastic, you will need to use a primer before painting.

The krinkle paint used by SAI is often sold as BBQ or Engine paint.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Oops! Missed the 'fiberglass' part!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.