M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been working on restoring a RRAD to what it looked like when it left the Depot in 7-1964. I purchased the rifle from a gentleman who lives in Burlington IA who contacted me on a WTB thread on the CMP forums. Well I drove up there(4 hours from North MO) and we met at a closed motel parking lot in South Burlington. The rifle was basically a mess. He had purchased it from the North store as a service grade in 2012 and must have stored it in his garage. It was grubby so I talked him down to $750. When I got it home I knew it would be a lot of elbow grease. Lucky for me he hadn't cleaned the cosmo off the rifle. The first surprise was the barrel is nearly new 6-64 SA with a ME of .4! The action has a nice electro pencil RRAD on the L heel and a unmarked Walnut stock. After reading about these it more than likey had a Birch stock with a square P on the grip when it left Red River. RRAD quit stamping their stocks RRAD when they began electro penciling the RRAD in the action. I figured it would be hard to find one but once again the WTB turned up a beauty for $65 delivered! So here it is one of my proudest moments in collecting. Watch for a Range Report soon. This rifle locks up very tight and the late SA barrels were some of the best they ever made. I almost forgot the rifle is a Feb 1945 vintage.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
After reading about these it more than likey had a Beech stock with a square P on the grip when it left Red River.
Very nice job, looks great. (I think you meant birch stock instead of beech stock).

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
That stock looks like drift wood....bahahahahahahahahahahaha beech wood!

Very well done.
Cheers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those 1960's barrels are accurate, should make a great shooter
I always thought that to be a myth but including you, I have heard the same thing from at least 10 people! I'm going to try to shoot it this afternoon.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Very nicely done!

My DCM H&R M1 also has a 60's SA barrel, (6-65) essentially new when received by me from Anniston. Excellent shooter.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Range report. I grabbed what was left of a box of handloads labeled, 1920 NM(1903), 52 gr RL15, 150 gr Sierra Pro Hunter, Lake City brass, Win primer. 50 yards just before the rain hit. Last 4 shots once I got it on paper. Just over an inch with an Annie Oakley. Not bad with 74 year old eyes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts