M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am resizing LC brass with an RCBS FL reloading die. My question is: Should the brass go into the resizing die all the way to flush with the shell holder? This brass just does not want to go all the way. Is it a sign of being fed through an M-60? Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Lube

Sounds like you are not lubeing, if you are what are you useing? What are the head stamps. Are you new to reloading. Hastory.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Due to 'flex' in some reloading presses, when a case is actually being resized the shell holder can be further from the bottom of the die than when the height of the die is set with an empty shell holder.
- take a close look at the position of the shell holder & bottom of the die when the ram is fully UP with a case being resized to see whether this is your situation.

If your resized cases WILL NOT fit the chamber of the rifle, then lower the die a little more to give additional resizing.

Also, the brass in USGI cases can be noticeably more difficult to resize than some commercial cases.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not new to reloading, have been reloading for 308 bolt action for years. Using RCBS case lube on pad. Brass is stamped LC 05.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ok. I found the a good way to do this. You need a sturdy reloading and bench and good thing you have an RCBS press and die. You need to lube well but not too much or it will give your brass a dimpled look around the shoulder. You need to do this in basically two stages. One throw of the lever to pop the primer out. Then for your second throw take the hand down until you have about 3 inches to go before the handle knob is all of the way down. At that point you need to push down quickly and firmly and really push that last 3/8 of case into the die. I don't think a slow fluid motion is going to get it unless your arm can double as a hydrolic press. I did that for about 3,000 LC cases and I've shot about 1000 of them and they all cycle in my M1A just fine. LUBE WELL LUBE WELL LUBE WELL. If you force a case into the die and you don't have the proper amount of lube it's a devil to get out again. Also, check that your handle is screwed in fully every 25 rounds or so. I did not and after 1000 Rounds my handle had worked loose and I had some thread damage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been resizing the same MG fired brass in my rockchucker. I switched to the imperial sizing wax and it really does help in sizing that brass. I can't remember who said it, but recently it was posted that after you size it give the case a quarter turn and let her have it again.
I really never liked that rcbs lube anyway.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have loaded many thousands of rounds using Imperial lube and I find it works better than any other lube out there. I FL resize on a Rockchucker with a Dillon 1200 mounted on the press and size and trim in one pass. Give the arm a quick motion with the press set to correctly size the brass and it's not difficult at all. When I say set correctly, I mean set using a Wilson case gauge to see if the shoulder is set properly. That's the important thing. Adjust the die up or down as required until the case measures correctly. I also have never used a SB die and have no problems using this brass in either of my M1A rifles or my M14 rifle.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
Lube is lube I have used everything from PAM to Imperial, whatever floats your boat. For resizing once fired MG brass remove the depriming stem/pin from a FL 30.06 resizing die and run them. After they have been resize with the 30.06 die run them again in your .308 resizing die, it is extra work/effort but its better too work the brass down in incremants than all at once.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
I spin mine 180 degrees between the two runs into the die. And I let it sit there for a five count instead of pulling it back out right away on both runs. I have been able to measure the difference between a quick run and a slow run through the die.

Actually I'm operating from memory here. The best thing I ever did to fix this problem was to quit buying once-fired that I wasn't sure had not come from a MG chamber. I realize in today's situation buyers can't be so choosy.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
I have a batch of LC LR brass that is stretched pretty bad. How I don't know. It measures 1.644. It's a real pita to get sized down. After Tex's advice and adjusting the die I am lucky if I get it down to Sami min in two throws. I've stopped trying to get the ones that get down to 1.629-1.630 any smaller and just cull them into two piles for two different chambers. The spinning method works. I'm going to try some heat on them in the future.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I use both once fired LC and LC LR brass. I use the LR brass in my Super Match for precision long range and regular LC for general shooting. I use Hornady One Shot lube and haven't had an issue and I do use RCBS SB die. Same as metalguy, I check all my cases with a Wilson case gauge (worth every penny). I have never turned a case while resizing, but think I may try it to see if there is a difference made with my set-up. I am always willing to learn something new. I have and still use Imperial sizing lube and it is good stuff. I mainly use it when reforming a couple of wildcat cases I shoot like the 219 D. Wasp. If you are seeing dimpling in your resized cases then you are using too much lube. Also make sure your die is clean before every use.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lube is lube I have used everything from PAM to Imperial, whatever floats your boat. For resizing once fired MG brass remove the depriming stem/pin from a FL 30.06 resizing die and run them. After they have been resize with the 30.06 die run them again in your .308 resizing die, it is extra work/effort but its better too work the brass down in incremants than all at once.
This is exactly what I do with MG brass. It is an extra step but it reduces the wear and tear on your dies and your arm.
Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts