M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting into reloading for my match gun and have accumulated most of the reloading equipment. HOWEVER, this has started quite the discussion with some of my shooting buddies.....do you use a full length resizing die or a small base die for the M14. Some of the guys say because its a semi you need small base to make sure the case goes into the chamber nice and easy every time while the other camp says because its a match chamber you can easily go with a full length without any problems.

What do you guys figure?

Olds

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have always used a regular full length sizing die (Redding) for my M1A but I also check EVERY case with a Wilson case gauge after I size it, just to be sure GI7

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sizing die

I do like CT101, seems to work well.....however, IF I had read Zediker's treatise on loading first, I may have bought the small base instead.

·
Registered
177 Posts
After using thousands of rounds in my match tuned Garand , I haven't had any problems using the Redding full length sizer . All of my other M-2 reloads work just fine using a Dillon full length sizer . The M-2 loads get used in a great assortment of rifles as well .

Jack

·
Registered
360 Posts
It depends on how your camber is cut.Some National Match Rifles have tight chambers and need to use a small base die.If its a standard GI Barrel a regular full lenght should work.

I would reccomend that you buy a good Dial Caliper and a Stony Point Guage.
That way you can measure your Brass and key an eye on things,

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had no problems feeding using a standard Hornady full length resizing die on commercial brass (Federal GMM, PPU Match); no need for small base dies for this ".308 NM" barrel on my SA Loaded M1A.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Just size with a small base die and you will never have to worry about the round clambering or extracting.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Many people use both without issues.
But people using FL dies that do have issues generally resolve them by using SB dies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a-loaded SAI. Lee full size has done me well. I have a Wilson Gauge that I verify it with and no issues for 11 years. Goodluck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I started with a regular FL sizing die changed to a small base after some chambering problems. Was using purchased once sized LC cases that I know now might have been fired from a mini gun etc.. But if I knew then what I know now I would have bought the gotten the SB that way would be covered for all brass.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ve always used SB die to resize my 7.62 brass. I lube well and run it into the die. I then turn the case 180 degrees in the shell holder, and size again. My brass is then gauged, and good to go.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Many people use both without issues.
But people using FL dies that do have issues generally resolve them by using SB dies.
That's been my experience. SB dies cured a sporadic failure of the cartridge going far enough into the chamber for the bolt to fully close. This was on an H&R USGI chrome lined barrel. The cases that didn't function looked fine with a case gauge.

·
Premium Member
16,543 Posts
FL dies vary considerably. I have one RCBS FL from 1970 that sizes smaller than my current production RCBS SB. Better, in my mind, to use the SB and not have problems than to have something occur just when you need function. Just a suggestion, but the use of a Sheridan cartridge gauge can indicate some problems ahead of time. The Wilson really only shows BTO and case length, not chamber compatibility.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts