M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another grab from survialblog.com. I inherited a tiny oilstone from my granddad, a super hard one that he used on his olde tyme double-edged Gillette blades, but I don't know why I never thought of this very simple and easy technique. Personally, I have a 10 pack of blades that should last forever because I don't shave any more, but of course I don't work for The Man anymore either:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc[/ame]

(The survival premise is that you save on money and use it to buy supplies.)

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does make sense, because one reason very sharp blades get dull is that the peak of the edge curls over slightly against the direction of use. Stropping the little blades backwards should correct that, as well as actually doing a bit of abrasive sharpening.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
i stopped buying razors and started using a straight razor. its more fun too...

·
Registered
973 Posts
My dad once told me about taking double edged blades and rubbing them on the lip of a glass drinking cup when they got dull. The glass (being much harder than the steel) would put an edge back on the blade. But I've never tired it in practice.
I used to be able to get good blades cheap, so I never worried about it. Lately, though, blades seem to go dull faster, and not every drugstore carries the old-timers anymore. So maybe I'll give the old mans advice a try.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Do it the old-fashioned way---Grow A Beard!

GI2

CAVman in Wyoming...Fully Mustached and Bearded...since 1969!

GI5

Reactions: CNelson
1 - 8 of 8 Posts