M14 Forum banner

Rescued and now under TLC..A Colt 1911

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  richsbk 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I am sorry to tell you that you wil never be able to restore that 1911.
I will,because i am a nice guy (really) take it off your hands and give it a good resting place.
PM Me right away if not sooner!

Reactions: KidSopris
#7 ·
Typical of one of the 1918 manufactured Colt 1911 "Black Army" pistols. The "black" bluing on them did not hold up at all, and under hard service they ended up looking exactly like yours. Many went thru the arsenal rebuild program and can be found with a parkerized finish and the brown plastic WWII style grips. They are usually marked "AA" to denote August Arsenal, the site of the rebuild. There are guys out there who can restore them to the original finish, or you could choose to either park or blue it yourself, depending on the final use you have for it. Any way you choose you can't go wrong, a true piece of history you have there. Good luck with it and keep us posted as to your progress.

What barrel is in it?

#8 ·
Ok Boys get out your checkbooks, this girl can be bought....The stocks had been on the gun since Patton had his own Command in Africa, but they are over-sized and Bubba was practicing his checkering skills...(he should have the class first)..But They are in the safe right now.

I have located a period correct Barrel, Bushing and Link as the previous owner had installed a Series 70 National Match Barrel and Finger bushing which has made the gun very accurate and usable. Since I have a couple of these WWI firearms and a Repro Black Army from Colt this one will go.

Colt confirmed the December 1918 shipping date to Springfield for Final Inspection and distribution to Unit, (NFD).

I can either list it as it in the classifieds or wait until the other period correct parts are married to the gun....Obviously it will sell cheaper now rather than later...LOL

Thank you all for the nice comments.

#10 ·
I believe my Y2K commander looked far more weathered. I couldn't believe it was just over a decade old when I got it. I'll be sure to post some photos of it before and after as soon as it is done. Rescued Colts are worthy restorations to me.

As for this one, nice score. It will be awesome to get it period correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.