M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I know repro parts on a carbine are a total "NO-NO" to collectors and many members of this forum and I understand that. However, I've been having a lot of folks who do WWII reenacting lately have me put repro parts on their carbines to "make them authentic, but NOT original" for that hobby. I've been getting these repro parts from Fulton Armory and I thought at least some of you may be curious as to how they fit.

First thing is the repro flip sights. I've only installed four of them on G.I. carbines, but the good news is they are long enough front to back that they will fit tight in any G.I. carbine and some require a little filing to get them to fit. I'd rather have them too tight than not tight enough. One thing I've found about them is they don't have a completely flat bottom on the repro sight. There are a sort of a front and rear pad on the bottom and the middle doesn't contact the base of the dovetail. That can be a quick way to spot a repro if someone is trying to fake them by that light showing through under the middle of the sight.

Front sights with full size blades are getting a bit hard to find. So I bought four of the reproduction ones with the full size blades at Camp Perry. I bought them to use on "shooter" or CMP competition carbines. Well, the bad news is I've tried all four on various original barrels and the hole going through the repro front sights is too small for a G.I. barrel. Now, they can be reamed or filed out and work. Over the years I've seen a couple of G.I. carbine barrels that were so loose something like this may have been great to make up for a worn/loose barrel in the area the front sight goes over. However, if you need a taller front sight on your carbine and you are thinking of buying a repro front sight, expect to run into this.

The repro push button safeties also have a small problem in some G.I. trigger housings in that they are just a bit oversize to fit some of the housings. We tried the repros in about 8 different brands of G.I. housings and they fit in some and didn't in others. It would not take much to get them to fit, you can run into this with the repro push button safety.

The repro super skinny Type I front bands can be a real problem. They are just large enough that they are loose on many WWiI stocks and handguards when they are screwed all the way down. Since I have been piddling with loose handguards a lot lately, I do the same thing when I have a handguard that is loose up front.

I mold release the bejesus out of the barrel and repro front band inside and out with Accra Release and put some on the top of the stock where the band sits. Then I unscrew the screw of the front band until it just barely has the threads in the screw in the band. This opens up the band to the maximum room, but so the screw will actually engage the threads of the band. I roughen up the top edge of the handguard lip that goes into the band so Accraglass Gel will stick to it. I dye a bit of Accraglass to match the wood and put it on top of the handguard wood lip that goes into the band and inside the top of the band. I wipe off any excess Accraglass that oozes out when the band is slid to the rear and locked in place by the band retaining spring.

When it cures, I clean off the excess that squooshed out under the front of handguard lip. I've also found you have to file just a bit off the very front of the handguard lip where the Accraglass on the handguard lip fits right up to the band. I want just a tiny bit of free play forward and back on the handguard when the band is in place and screwed down. Normally it only takes about five file strokes to give enough clearance. Otherwise the band may be pushed forward under recoil and/or may crack the handguard if there isn't just a bit of room to make up for the whip of the barrel in recoil.

It is almost impossible to see the Accraglass on top of the handguard lip when the front band is all the way in place, so it is esthetically pleasing. The only thing I caution folks about is if they do something like this for a CMP Games match carbine, it will disqualify you from the match if/when you get caught.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thank you!

Thanks, Gus. Paving the way for the rest of us to follow, as usual. Very grateful!

Best!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know this is off subject but I am looking for an ORIGINAL Type II barrel band for one of my Carbines.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Thanks for the info, Gus!! You save us some research and pain for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts