M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Can the picatinny rail be removed and the hand guard on this rifle be replaced with a standard m1a handguard ex: Handguard, Fiberglass-Reinforced, New, Fulton Armory, with Retaining Clip Installed

From what I can tell the answer is yes but would like to confirm.

If if the hand guard is purchased with a preinstalled clip, it looks like as far as tools, the most that might be required is a gas block tool?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yep you can take the scout mount off and switch the handguard. Here’s mine with the FA handguard you linked.

You will need to take out the trigger group, remove the stock, remove the gas plug, loosen the gas cylinder lock, and tap the cylinder forward in order to pull the handguard forward and then up and off. You can also pry the handguard clip out of the groove but I suspect you could damage the clip/handguard or finish on the barrel if you muck it up.

You may need to sand the edges of the handguard to clearance it from the stock. I assembled mine and scribed a line to give me 1/16” clearance, then removed the handguard and sanded it with my dremel until the line was gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep you can take the scout mount off and switch the handguard. Here’s mine with the FA handguard you linked.

You will need to take out the trigger group, remove the stock, remove the gas plug, loosen the gas cylinder lock, and tap the cylinder forward in order to pull the handguard forward and then up and off. You can also pry the handguard clip out of the groove but I suspect you could damage the clip/handguard or finish on the barrel if you muck it up.

You may need to sand the edges of the handguard to clearance it from the stock. I assembled mine and scribed a line to give me 1/16” clearance, then removed the handguard and sanded it with my dremel until the line was gone.
Lovely rifle, and great thank you so much for the information!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.