M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Boyds walnut handguard I want to install on my M-14.
It comes with no hardware, so I'm hoping to reuse the existing fore and aft clips.
Any tips on how to remove them without destroying them, and how to install them on the new part without damaging it?
I don't want to have to order any specialized tools that I'll likely only use once.

I've been unable to source any new clips, e.g. from Treeline...

thx
SL

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
I don't think there's any alternative to installing the handguard clip on a walnut handguard without the specific pliers. The wood is very minimal in that are and you coul easily crack it with pressure in the wrong areas.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Fulton Armory, Brownells, Midway, etc, all sell the clips. They also have the tools.

There is no such thing as an M14 tool that you will only use once. They're like Harley's.

Check around your area for Garand loonies. They likely have the tool.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Like the others have said, the tool is almost a must. Even with the tool I managed to put a hairline crack in my walnut handguard, its not noticeable. It took some work getting my Boyds handguard to look right, they are way too thick on the front end, and still the look isn't quite 'right', nice but not 'right.' Now if you could find a nice early style stock with the Garand buttplate, then it would look right.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
The Minelli stock comes with a handguard that matches the profile of the forend, which is thinner than Boyd's. You need to reuse all of your original metal. Unfortunately, I don't believe the handguard is available seperately.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I used bailing wire through the holes on the clips. One loop I held in a vice, the other loop went around a piece of dowel used as a handle. Pull hard and it spread the clip wide enough to rotate the handguard into place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.