M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get a pictoral walk through on replacing elevation knob on my rear sight.Original has a dent, not a functional issue, just ugly. Have a new Berretta elevation knob I'd like to replace it with. Do I have to remove rear sight or is it just screw one out, screw the other one on,

·
Registered
966 Posts
"The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" is the book you need. You can get it at ScottDuff.com

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
What?

Are you talking about the elevation knob or the whole elevation assembly? The knob requires some very special tools. The complete assembly is a simple exchange and only requires a screw driver.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Where can I get a pictoral walk through on replacing elevation knob on my rear sight.... Do I have to remove rear sight or is it just screw one out, screw the other one on,
This is no longer a pictorial, but if what you want to do is replace the elevation knob and pinion assembly (as Ted Brown points out), it's relatively simple and the written description should do the trick. However, if it's an SAI NM rear sight, you run the risk of losing a little ball bearing under the windage knob. There may be a way to avoid that but I've never tried it. In any case, and especially if it's an SAI NM sight, since the M14 is a battle rifle, a little damage might make it look more authentic.GI2

You should note that removal of the elevation knob assembly involves releasing it from the windage knob end; the big screw in the center of the elevation knob has nothing to do with it (my apologies if you already knew that).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o.k. this is what I have

I've got Kuhnhausen" Shop Manual.On page 64 there is an exploded pic of rear sight. I have a new Elevation knob/pinion assy.I don't want to mess up my current sight, it works great but a nice new elavation assy would sure look swell,if it's an easy fix.Don't worry about insulting my ignorance, you can't.This is my hobby not my profession, I'm hear to learn. thanks.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I've got Kuhnhausen" Shop Manual.On page 64 there is an exploded pic of rear sight. I have a new Elevation knob/pinion assy.I don't want to mess up my current sight, it works great but a nice new elavation assy would sure look swell,if it's an easy fix.Don't worry about insulting my ignorance, you can't.This is my hobby not my profession, I'm hear to learn. thanks.
I'm assuming you don't have an SAI NM sight. Take a look at pages 170 & 171. The cutaway of the windage knob shows a hollow lock nut. The threaded end of the elevation knob (with the flat on it) fits into the windage knob and the lock nut screws down onto it after it passes through the pinion shaft lock, which has a matching flat on its inside. Taking the elevation knob out essentially involves unscrewing the lock nut using a flat sided blade screwdriver in the slot on the lock nut until the elevation knob and pinion can slide out.

The replacement slides back in but the trick is to get the flat on the end of the pinion to line up with the flat inside the pinion shaft lock at the same time. Otherwise, you can shove all the innards of the windage knob out, and finding all the parts, let alone putting it all back together is a treat. GI4

If you can get the lock nut to thread on the pinion, as you tighten the lock nut, you'll feel it sort of clunk into place on each half turn once spring tension begins to tighten the action of both knobs. Then it's a matter of tightening the lock nut to suit your taste in elevation knob tightness. Don't force that tightening too much because it's possible to break the lock nut.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for info

I'll give it a try this weekend after a good night's sleep.And no, I am not lucky enough to have a NM sightGI9

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
...And no, I am not lucky enough to have a NM sightGI9
Actually, you are lucky. Take a look at the last post in the link of my first message. You'll see SAI's version of the NM rear sight is nothing to lust after, when there are USGI and SEI NM sights available.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Actually, you are lucky. Take a look at the last post in the link of my first message. You'll see SAI's version of the NM rear sight is nothing to lust after, when there are USGI and SEI NM sights available.
You are hard on the Beaver. Two of my rifles wear the ball bearing "Air Force" 1/2 min windage hardware and they're as dependable as Big Ben. Some of that comes from using a precisely-milled/modified windage knob. On take-down, keep it from losing the BB and the spring by sliding in a piece of duct tape over the BB as the windage knob is loosened.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You are hard on the Beaver. Two of my rifles wear the ball bearing "Air Force" 1/2 min windage hardware and they're as dependable as Big Ben. Some of that comes from using a precisely-milled/modified windage knob. On take-down, keep it from losing the BB and the spring by sliding in a piece of duct tape over the BB as the windage knob is loosened.
I have one of those installed on my Super Match by SAI and find that a windage adjustment will sometimes not be reflected in actual sight movement until I give the sight a push. Fortunately, it's scoped so how the sight behaves doesn't really matter. My concern with losing (or, for that matter, installing) the ball bearing and spring came from trying to install an SAI NM sight on an SAI receiver pre-drilled for the spring. The spring tension was such that I never could get the spring compressed, the ball in place, and the windage knob on. On that sample at least, I doubt duct tape would have held the ball in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts