M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
HH
Now that is one functional piece of steel, focused on survival.
Very nice Christmas present for your buddy, takes the worry out of being close.

Tatonka

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are basically two types ofblade edge. The V or wedge type is the strongest & basically for a chopping tool like axe or hatchet. The other type is hollow ground which is the better style for slicing. But in doing hollow ground you are removing metal from behind the edge. That makes less resistance when slicing but the loss of the metal makes the blade edge more usceptable to chipping. You chip a blades edge & the knife basically becomes a paper weight.

Basically I make a survival knife. To me, the main thing about a survival knife is that it must not break. That's why I make a full tang knife & V edge versus hollow ground.

Hope that answers you question.
HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jefferson F. Davis, I was just kidding about the plastic M16s.

If you look inside M16 or M14 bayonet you'll see cuts which make the locking mechanism work. I'm not good enough with the milling machine to make those cuts. I looked at replacing my bayonet on my M14 & decided it wasn't worth the attempt.

HH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.