M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my $40 tiger birch USGI M14 stock. The guy who I picked it up from said it had an arsenal repair job. He was not kidding! I refinished it by sanding it down with 150 grit and sealing with Natural Danish Oil. The stock turned out teriffic, but the repair is like a hairy mole on Kate Upton's chest: Really ugly and distracting.

Should I attempt to redo the repair,or leave it as is?

Take a look:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Removing the "repair" without doing more damage is the problem. If you can get out whatever material was used, some acraglass dyed black would be a much better match, it would not stand out near as much in my opinion.

Either way you got a tiger birch for $40.00!!!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
You could get a donor stock and shave that area down and laminate a new piece over it.Or cut out area and splice a piece of wood into cut out .If you take your time on the fit and match grain it would be strong and a lot better appearance.

What would be nice if you could find a dark flamed piece that would be easy to conceal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have decided to leave the repair "As Is", but I am going to attempt to darken the area around it to lessen it's visual impact. I may even toy with the idea of trying to blend a couple of stripes into the finish as it appears the arsenal refurb may have torn well into the old original flame. We will have to see how it goes!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Updated w/ pics!

I took the advice of the forum and left the arsenal repair "as is", but as with any decent looking woman, added a little "make up" in order to enhance the outward appearance. I also added a lock out switch for some "bling". I think my efforts turned out pretty well. What do you think?

BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I was doing repairs on some of my M1 garand stocks I'd use 60% wood putty and 40% clear epoxy. Ends up hard as a rock..

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That looks awesome, great job!

Reactions: Wayward Son
1 - 20 of 28 Posts