M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snipers have used Leatherwood ART scopes in armed conflicts since the Vietnam War.

We have had the privilege of connecting with our friend Rene MaCare (173d Airborne). We are grateful for his service and his willingness to share his story.

Here are some of his experiences with the Leatherwood ART scope in Vietnam. This is the first part of 2 videos with Rene MaCare.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvL6r8Emq_8"]Sniper Profiles | The Leatherwood Principle featuring Rene Macare (173d Airborne) Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Do you know anyone who has used the ART scope during active duty? We’d love to help tell their story! Please contact us at [email protected].

·
Forum Jester
7,999 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I don't know anyone with first-hand combat experience who used the AR TEL scope in Vietnam, only some veterans who used the later ART II scopes during the 1980s.
I did write-up some online history re military M14 optics, and of course the AR TEL and ART II were both included:

https://m14forum.com/optics/474454-...military-m14-daytime-sniper-rifle-scopes.html

Thanks for producing the videos, they were well-done.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Snipers have used Leatherwood ART scopes in armed conflicts since the Vietnam War.

We have had the privilege of connecting with our friend Rene MaCare (173d Airborne). We are grateful for his service and his willingness to share his story.

Here are some of his experiences with the Leatherwood ART scope in Vietnam. This is the first part of 2 videos with Rene MaCare.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]uvL6r8Emq_8[/MEDIA]"]Sniper Profiles | The Leatherwood Principle featuring Rene Macare (173d Airborne) Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Do you know anyone who has used the ART scope during active duty? We’d love to help tell their story! Please contact us at [email protected].
Actually a member here who no longer hangs out on any forums was a Nam era sniper and carried the XM21 fitted with the Redfield AR-TEL scope.
He joined here when he wanted to build a replica of the rifle he carried. Like most soldiers, and his exact words to me "it was a tool, I didn't pay attention to maker or parts markings."
He was the 1st one to tell me that only certified XM21 armorers were allowed to work on those rifles. The shooter was not even allowed to do the most basic field strip to the rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts