M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an issue when shooting one of my M14 rifles this weekend. Upon firing the front sight drifted a bit to the right. So, I grabbed the 3/32" allen hex wrench and tightened her down good. Bad part is that it is stripped out. I wanted to remove it and replace with a USGI front sight screw as I suspected a commercial screw was in place. Reason for it being so soft.

Can someone provide a method to remove this stuck screw??? I tried obvious things like the next size allen key and a ball end allen key. No luck. She ain't stripped out that bad to get to the next size. Also tried the close metric equivalents with no luck. Got to be some trick to this.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Are E-Z outs made that small?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDYJvY0Ts[/ame]

Reactions: hammonje

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,708 Posts
Find a Allen screw driver bit that fit tight, tap it in with a small hammer and back it out with a 1/4" wrench, there is usually a metric bit that is tight, you could also grind a slight taper on one so it will wedge in.

Casey

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I have an assortment of small ez out gadgets. I have 6 or 7 sizes. If you need to borrow a couple Ham, just let me know. I have also read that a dab of epoxy or bedding compound in the head will work. Put it in the head, put allen key in and let it set up real good. Back it out. Then soak the screw and allen key in acetone to reclaim your allen key.
I also have some screw/bolt extractors of two different designs you are welcome to borrow. I know what an irritation stripped head and threads can be. That is why I have so many of these type tools.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Find a Allen screw driver bit that fit tight, tap it in with a small hammer and back it out with a 1/4" wrench, there is usually a metric bit that is tight, you could also grind a slight taper on one so it will wedge in.

Casey
If you haven't already got the srcrew out; I have had good luck using Casey's method depending on how tight you got it before it stripped. If you can't get the Allen to fit try a torx or as some people call them "star" bits using the same method They are usually tapered and I believe has six points. The other suggested ways will definitely work as well especially if it is super tight....good luck

Derik

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it out using a torx bit. Was looking on the net and found a bike forum where this was discussed. Came right out after stripping a few smaller torx bits until I found the right fit.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts