M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard some guys having a rifle that has a OP rod that will not come off. i bought a used scout model and tried to take it apart and the op rod simply will not budge! what do i do? it is pretty tight in there.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I usually just press the OP into the receiver about 2 inches up from the tab. That usually helps pop it out.

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
Here is what I do for the troubled ones. I lay the rifle on its side I am right handed, muzzle to the left op rod up. After removing the spring, I align the op rod with the disconnect notch. I assume you know where the notch is and the tab on the op rod as well. Place one hand on the charging handle and the other on the round part of the op rod, the section to the left by the barrel. When the tab and notch are aligned use your fingers and the palms of your hands to roll the op rod towards you.
If this does not work I get my soft plastic hammer. I align the tab with the notch and give it a short stroke wrap. If it lined up it will pop right out. I keep meaning to illustrate this but never have anyone to take the pics If you have any questions let us know.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
82nd.

thanks. that worked. ive just never had a m14 that was this tight before.

and thanks to everybody. all advice helped.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Seems like there have been a few problematic op rods lately (mine included) Mine was due to a high spot left from milling the tab slot. Is this getting more and more common with all the new receiver builds going on?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Before I was married I used a particularly stiff plastic spatula to pry the op rod out, levering between the op rod hump and the receiver when aligned to the notch. It doesn't take much, and I kind of like that it has no inclination to dismount without some persuasion. This isn't the typical cheap Chinee spatula, mind you. It's a hard plastic, sort of like bakelite. A hard wood wedge would work OK too.

Now that I'm married I use the same spatula, but have to be a bit more stealthy with where and when I do it.

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
82nd.

thanks. that worked. ive just never had a m14 that was this tight before.

and thanks to everybody. all advice helped.
No problem glad I could help. A smith showed me that trick when I was first learning how to build these puppies. I still have a couple that need the ol plastic hammer to tame it every once in awhile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts