M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a Springfield M1A with the factory ball bearing windage knob conversion. I want to swap over to a USGI rear sight.

How do I get this ball bearing and spring out of the receiver without buggering anything up? I’ve lubed it up with CLP, tried gently picking at it with a flat head screwdriver and a punch. Tried to grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers, but it’s still there.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take your sights apart. Make sure you get everything lined back up when you reassemble.
Rear sight is already apart. It’s just getting the ball bearing out that is the problem. I can get it to move pushing it in with a punch but can’t get it to pop out of the receiver. It’s good and tight.

It’s funny how some folks take their sight apart and have the ball bearing fall out, but I can’t seem to remove this one.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Rear sight is already apart. It’s just getting the ball bearing out that is the problem. I can get it to move pushing it in with a punch but can’t get it to pop out of the receiver. It’s good and tight.

It’s funny how some folks take their sight apart and have the ball bearing fall out, but I can’t seem to remove this one.
That makes me a idiot, sorry. Good luck.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You can leave it in. It won't interfere with a standard windage knob.
Yeah I know. It’s just annoying I can’t get it out. Maybe I will give it a few more love taps and see if it comes out. It’s just annoying I can’t get the damn thing out when other folks complain the ball bearing just falls out on their rifles. As you said, worst case it isn’t hurting anything.

If the person that inherits the rifle after I die ever takes the rear sight off and looks down the hole wondering what the deal is, I will be smiling from the great beyond knowing the story. 11/24/21, we all made history with this particular M1A. :)

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I've had email both ways.I think the machining of the hole wasn't consistent from one receiver to another or the ball bearing was a bit larger on some and once it was seated in the hole it doesn't want to come out.
Either way like Kurt said if ya can't get it out it aint gonna hurt a thing by leaving it in there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Gave it a few whacks with a 1/8 punch and a hammer. It sure enough moved in. Maybe I just leave it like this and install the rear sight?

Ok, I’m kidding
Now you HAVE to use a standard sight setup, unless you go to great pains to try getting it out with something like EDM, maybe. You should have tried a magnet first before pushing it in farther.

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now you HAVE to use a standard sight setup, unless you go to great pains to try getting it out with something like EDM, maybe. You should have tried a magnet first before pushing it in farther.

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That ball bearing wasn’t going anywhere with a magnet. I’d have better luck trying to use a magnet to lift Rosie O’Donnell off the couch with a 10 penny nail between her front teeth.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If you have a small, and I mean small dead blow hammer, you could give it a couple whacks from the front. Or even a tiny bit of heat to expand the hole. (Just warming it up a little)

Reactions: 04fxdwgi

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you have a small, and I mean small dead blow hammer, you could give it a couple whacks from the front. Or even a tiny bit of heat to expand the hole. (Just warming it up a little)
This is one I would try with a heat gun. ^^^^^

Plus, perhaps maybe a little solvent in there to clean the hole of any lube that may have become a tad sticky over time.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
This is one I would try with a heat gun. ^^^^^

Plus, perhaps maybe a little solvent in there to clean the hole of any lube that may have become a tad sticky over time.
I would actually use a propane torch set low and just kinda wafting it around so as not to concentrate the heat. I would also have something to deflect or catch the ball and spring when it comes flying out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts