M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the place for this post but I didn't know where else to put it.

I have a neighbor whose husband passed away and she wants to get rid of his firearms. One is the make and model posted above. I've looked on-line and gotten some information and I spoke directly to Remington. This particular rifle was made in 1980 and was discontinued as a production model a few years later. According to one web site there was a problem with the safety on this model and Remington did make arrangements for any owner to have the safety modified.

I'm thinking of buying this one if I can get some information about how they shoot. I'm a little disappointed about the magazine only holding three rounds and apparently there are no after market mags that hold more.

If anyone has any familiarity with this rifle I'd appreciate the information. Also, if anyone knows a ball park figure as to what this gun is worth, I'd like to know that as well. It's in relatively good shape.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Can't go wrong with the 788. The rear multiple lugs are not the most appealing, but these rifles are some of the most accurate ones out the box. I have no idea how much they are worth now, I bought mine some years ago.

Shoot some 55 grains ballistic tips, these are some deadly Coyote pills. I just copied the load from this site using 4064 did not do any load development.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#/ocw-load-recipes/4533485759

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
+1 on what everyone else has said! I have had a 788 22-250 for 28 years and it is a tack driver as long as you don't go over 55 grain bullets and you run them very fast. It has a 1 in 14" twist which is great with bullets 55 grains and less. Mine is most accurate with 50 grain bullets. Go for it. On gunbroker they usually go for $300 - $400 depending on condition and if it has a scope. I paid $195 for it new 28 years ago.

·
Registered
85 Posts
788's

They shoot like no tomorrow.....LOL. I own the 308 and 22-250, and they out shoot rifles costing a WHOLE lot more than they did,with the same ammo. Compact,light weight, and extremely accurate. Those that know, grab them when they see them. Great guns.GI2

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,547 Posts
They made them a couple of odd calibers for a bolt gun, 30-30 win and 44 rem mag. I have been looking for one in 44 mag for a long time but ever time I find one they want too much or I dont have the funds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_788

Casey

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ive got one in 222, it is the most accurate ugly duckling you can get. I use mine as my truck gun, it doesnt come out of my pickup. It has ruined ALOT of coyotes days, if you miss with it, its your fault. I paid 100 bucks for it years ago, the cool one to me , is the 30-30, Ive seen them for 300 up to 500. Snatch it up, definitely.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. I agree it isn't one of the most appealing looking rifles, but on other forums the consensus seems to be that they shoot fine. I'm going to test drive it tomorrow and that will probably make up my mind on whether I buy it or not.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Unless things have changed at Remington, you could shoot it a while and if you don't like it send it to Remington and they'll trade you a new 700 in your caliber of choice. Remington's been sued a lot over 788's and wants them out of circulation. Funny thing, the rifle was priced so cheap but shot so good that Remington's real reason for discontinuing it was that it cut into 700 sales.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Buy it my friend... Like the others have said the little 788s are extremely good shooters, i have 1 chambered in .222 that shoots better than some custom rifles! - IMO everybody needs at least one 788 DI5

·
Registered
543 Posts
In 2005, at the NRA Convention in Houston Tx, I spoke directly to one of Remigtons
BIGWIGS, I have forgotton his name, however.
My first topic to him was the 788.
My first rifle was a 24" .243 M788, and damn damn wish I still had it.
Anyway, I asked him directly, would Remington EVER bring out the 788 again?
His answer.. NO. Because the tooling and proceses used to make the rifle would be cost prohibative. He also "felt" there wouldnt be "that much" of a market for it.
Then I asked him to respond to the rumour that the 788 was dropped because it cut into
M700 sales. He flatly denied it..even chuckled.
My parting words to him were I thought Remington could really make some coin if thet re-issued the rifle, and kept it exactly the same, MAYBE fix that rattling magazine.
I remember while hunting I would jab a small twig between the mag and magwell to keep it quiet!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have a buddy that has one of these in .243. Like him, it is ugly but boy does it shoot.

If I had an opportunity to get one, I would.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i have a 788 in 22-250. it shoots sub dime size groups at 100yds if i run the remington psp ammo through it. all i can say is: BUY IT! im not even going to ask how much he is selling it for because it is worth it. the nice ones go for around $400, which is what i paid for mine. i had to clean up the stock and barrel; bedded the stock; replaced the scope and front sight; and replaced the trigger. the triggers on the 788s suck.

the 788 is a cult classic because of their legendary accuracy. and i can not think of a more accurate round to shoot out of it than a 22-250!

here is mine before i restored it:

·
Registered
155 Posts
As everyone says... BUY IT

Every example in 22-250 I have seen, shot or heard of was outstandingly accurate. Win 45gr Varmint ammo will do 3in groups @ 200yrds out of my friends rifle. ( not bad for $275 with a cheap scope )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.