M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's TLynn when you need her? This is your favorite subject (Bolt Guns). I used the above in 7MMmag for African game. Fantastic device, it even made a lousy shooter like myself look good. A couple of 400+ yard shots and several 300 yard shots. I even hit what I was aiming at every time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-

·
Registered
615 Posts
Would you believe lost in space? Why did you guys start a new section when I was on vacation? Read vacation as doing mother do's - you know cleaning house, creating closet organizers, rearranging her bedroom furniture, gardening, etc.

And now on to one of my favorite rifles - Remington 700.

My question is why a 7mm mag? I mean I don't mind the 7mm (fact is I love my Chilean sporterized mauser) but I'm not kean on these other type cartridges win mags, etc.

Give me my 700 in 30-06 it'll do everything I need. Of course I'm not quite as brave as you are. I don't try for much beyond 300 yards because I'm not that confident with any rifle (read that to mean the rifle can do it I just can't).

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad you came down for a visit, Lynn. :D :D I don't get many vacations so I was here when Hawk put in this new one. He's right on top of things as always. :wink:

7mm is to reach out and touch someone. :lol: :lol: 7mm is ballistically the most efficient, used a lot in 1000yd stuff. I like the mag stuff, 458 win mag and 460 wby mag, although I have a dozen or so 30-06's. Then you know that I love'm all. :lol:

Now that you found your topic lets hear more from you. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
485 Posts
My question is why a 7mm mag? I mean I don't mind the 7mm (fact is I love my Chilean sporterized mauser) but I'm not kean on these other type cartridges win mags, etc.

Give me my 700 in 30-06 it'll do everything I need. Of course I'm not quite as brave as you are. I don't try for much beyond 300 yards because I'm not that confident with any rifle (read that to mean the rifle can do it I just can't).
I've read that a 7mmMag has no more recoil than a .30-06, but it's possible that whoever said that 1) had a rifle who's stock fit them, or 2) didn't know what he was talking about. That said, I'm convinced that any cartridge that makes a lightweight rifle kick harder is doing the deer either a big favor or a grave disservice depending on whether you wound/cripple one or miss completely. I don't mind trying to hit beyond 300yds if I'm where I can attempt it, but not while hunting.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Rem 700's are all great and the new CDL is one nicely designed rifle. However - I believe the new Weatherby Vanguards are pushing them accuracywise and absolutely spanking them price wise. Not sure where the recoil issue came from - however I have REM 700's in 7 Mag.'06,300 WM and 300 H&H (721) and I can assure you the felt recoil in 7 Mag is more than an '06 or .308 with equivalent bullet weights - just look at the powder volumes as the first clue. Remember our e (energy at both ends of the rifle) = m (mass) x (times) velocity squared formula - a 140 gr. 7 Mag at 3400 vs an '06 150 gr. is a good example of the recoil factor. Long range shooting is enhanced by the 7 mm mag as the bullets are more efficent (bc wise) per grain weight than .30 cals when using the 135-180 gr bullets which make a big difference particularily if you are shooting at man size/weight targets past 400 yds. I am a .30 cal. guy but in my opinion the entire 7 mm class of cartridges are excellent performers - the US military really doesn't have to look past the "old" 7 by 57 Mauser if they want a "new" efficent man stopper / obstacle penetrator performance round - just ask Teddy and his Rough Rider's.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm going to stick with my cheap Remington 700 30-06 ADL? And yes I'm a dip when it comes to remembering which is better than what.

I had the higher priced Remington in a 7mm-08 and absolutely hated it - didn't shoot worth a dang. Give me my old Remington 700 that was built probably 20 years or so ago and I'm happy.

You guys can keep the fancy ones.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You guys can keep the fancy ones.
Hey, I don't have the fancy ones. 8O I'm fixing to look into a Savage 111GL in left hand and .30-06. The first thing I'm going to do to it is take the rear sight off the barrel and mount a Lyman #57. I won't have $400 in the whole thing. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.