M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want my 870 to hold six 3" rounds just like my Winchester Defender.

Are the magazine extensions just a screw on deal?

I just want the extension that allows two extra rounds and is almost flush with the end of the barrel. Will I have to replace the mag spring?

Is there a good source on-line for these? Brand name?

Thx for your help....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Try wilson combat. They make a +2 that fits flush with a 18 inch barrel. It comes with a new spring and a "high performance follower"

Even though a 18 inch 870 with a factory +2 says its a 6 shot plus one in the chamber, Im sure you can cram another round in it because most
2 3/4 " shells are really only 2 1/2 inches in length.

Which I would assume let you hold six 3 inch shells in the mag tube.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I put the Wilson Combat +2 unit on my 870, it does not hold 7 rounds in the tube, just 6. Also, if you have an 870 Express, you'll have to remove the dimples on the sides of the magazine tube. I drilled mine out. Here's my longwinded post on another forum: http://sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/676109202

The other thing to consider is, some folks feel you need a magazine/barrel clamp to help support the mag tube. The issue is not that the mag extension would be weak, rather the mag tube itself is fragile now that you've added 6" of leverage to the end of it, such that if you get something stuck between mag & barrel and twist, you'd break or bend a part you can't replace yourself.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
woodpuppy said:
I put the Wilson Combat +2 unit on my 870, it does not hold 7 rounds in the tube, just 6. Also, if you have an 870 Express, you'll have to remove the dimples on the sides of the magazine tube. I drilled mine out. Here's my longwinded post on another forum: http://sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/676109202

The other thing to consider is, some folks feel you need a magazine/barrel clamp to help support the mag tube. The issue is not that the mag extension would be weak, rather the mag tube itself is fragile now that you've added 6" of leverage to the end of it, such that if you get something stuck between mag & barrel and twist, you'd break or bend a part you can't replace yourself.
The mod I did for my 870 express to remove the dimples was with a 3/8 drive 17mm deepwell socket and slowly drifted the socket down untill the dimples flattened out and I have had no function problems. I used the wilson 2 rnd extention.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Remington factory unit looks the best and has a supporting bracket with a swivel stud. The Wilson has a loop built onto it as well but with no bracket. I think the bracket is to prevent the bending of your extension only. The remainder of the tube is supported in the front by the barrel band and the receiver in the rear. To bend the extention enough to screw up everything would require that the barrel too must be bent and if you're bending your barrel and morphing the receiver then your extension "don't mean nuthin" cause you just went through a road side bomb or worse!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used the choate also. It says it is a 7 round extension but mine only holds 6. Sits flush with the 18.5 bbl. PITA to get the dimples flush. Comes with the clamp/side swivel, follower and new spring. Took a while to get the dimples down, the rest of it is fine. The barrel ring hides the holes in the original mag tube.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It says it is a 7 round extension but mine only holds 6.
The 7rds is what the shooty holds TOTAL, and not what the mag holds.

A 7rd extension is a +2, and 8rd extension is + 3 and a 10rd extension is a + 5.

The + number is what is added to the total rounds the unmodified shotgun holds.

As I've said before, to remove the dimples, chuck a 1/4" bit in the drill press and remove them, clean out the burrs from inside the tube and apply cold blue to the exposed metal.

RePete.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's kind of what I figured about the 7 mag extension tube. It holds 7 total. Still fine for me. Thanks to dremmel, the dimples got rounded down and the drill bit started them out for me.

Still...............I didn't like making holes in my gun. :?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You can get the extensions for 870's at Brownells, 800-742-0015.
They are from 2 to 5 extra rounds. Looking at catolog page 73 in
57 catolog number.
Midway has extions as well from tac star to as much as 10 rounds.
Call 800-243-3220.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.