M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
tis what happens because remingturd doesnt understand what QC is!!!!! i have 3 of the rifles involved, and they arent getting a single one back so that they can put in yet another turd of a trigger. i did sign one of my rifles up on the recall, right when it first surfaced, still waiting on their package, so they are really in no hurry to take care of these rifles that they state are unsafe to use. as far as im concerned , its the last nail in the coffin for me concerning remingturd. they arent exactly giving these rifles away, yet they cant seem to get them right, so between the spotty quality of the ammo they produce, and and 8 year long run of potentially unsafe triggers, i'll never buy another one of their products. done, finished!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh, when I called and asked about turn around time, they didn't have
a clue. I was thinking about installing another trigger instead of sending
it back. Any ideas along those lines?
Dano

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hey, maybe a Timmey trigger for me this sounds like crap production, my triigger should have been set at 3.5 Pounds at factory,instead set at 6 pounds, was able to get a smith to get it to 3.5 pounds no lower but XMP trigger best I'm gonna get. I have a Remington special 5

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Yeh, when I called and asked about turn around time, they didn't have
a clue. I was thinking about installing another trigger instead of sending
it back. Any ideas along those lines?
Dano
Whenever SAI recalled our XDs's they not only didn't have a clue for turn around times but they didn't even have a fix for the recall! But SAI came through so now both of my XDs's are shooting just fine and they did keep us posted along the way with their progress for the recall.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
http://xmprecall.remington.com/

My 2008 VTR .308 has to go back. Got a box and label coming.
If you own one, you might want to check this site out.
Dano
I signed up for the recall, and immediately got a one-time 40% discount on anything off of their RemingtonCountry.com site. Used that to buy some goodies. Took them about six weeks to send me the box to return the entire rifle just to replace the trigger. However, while waiting for the box to arrive I decided to get a Timney. Problem solved and it's a darn nice trigger.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I dropped a Timney in my 700.... Great trigger.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
A std Remington trigger can be tuned. Mine is tuned to a crisp 2.5lbs. I can't complain about that. Glad I never not into the triggers involved here. With Remington I lean strongly for Dupont Era guns and a few pre Dupont guns that interest me. Newer stuff just always hasn't been as good, so they're gone.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
A std Remington trigger can be tuned. Mine is tuned to a crisp 2.5lbs. I can't complain about that. Glad I never not into the triggers involved here. With Remington I lean strongly for Dupont Era guns and a few pre Dupont guns that interest me. Newer stuff just always hasn't been as good, so they're gone.
there's not much tuning to be done on these Xmark pro pieces of junk. the old factory 700 trigger was a far superior to the new junk pile.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Got my box and return label.

If Remington cant tell me when I will get my 16.5 AAC back. Then.I might as well get a new trigger.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If an issue with their trigger is the only reason for returning I personally would not do that. I never had any problems with the original trigger but as suggested, replace with Jewell or similar quality trigger and be good to go. It is a bad situation when a mfg. sells a rifle with a problem trigger since that is the component that provides the user the ability to actually fire the rifle and to correct the problem, send the rifle back, wait for long period of time or drop another $200.00+ to solve the problem. To avoid all this bad press and expense of correcting the trigger issue, would make a deal w/ Jewell for a bulk order or pay a royalty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had already replaced both of mine with the Timney Calvin trigger. Understanding the reason behind the recall is important. As I understand it, Remington used a "proprietary coating" on their triggers, which along with the potential of gunk getting built up on the right side of the trigger between the housing and the safety "could" keep the safety from completely engaging, thus, potentially allowing the firearm to discharge with the safety on.

I have worked with both the Jewell and Timney triggers and I find the Timney the easier and best trigger solution for the 700. The Timney Calvin trigger (named after the Timney employee that designed it) is adjustable down to, quite literally, 8 ounces. I have both of mine set at 3.0 lbs.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
wolfdad,
Thanks for the info on the Timney trigger and in the market for another trigger and will give them a try. Having used Jewell triggers for several years just naturally gravitate back to them, but glad to hear other options are out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
... As I understand it, Remington used a "proprietary coating" on their triggers, which along with the potential of gunk getting built up on the right side of the trigger between the housing and the safety "could" keep the safety from completely engaging, thus, potentially allowing the firearm to discharge with the safety on.
That's essentially my understanding too. One could work around this with periodically cleaning of trigger assembly, but Rem didn't want to rely on their customers taking the trigger apart so hence the recall.

Anyone know if it affects the 40x trigger
Don't think so. Only XM Pro triggers on Rem 700 and 7's built from May 1, 2006 until April 2014.

Information on the recall can be found here.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I checked and my 7mm/08 (G640XXXX) is not affected by the recall.

7th

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I signed up for the recall, and immediately got a one-time 40% discount on anything off of their RemingtonCountry.com site. Used that to buy some goodies. Took them about six weeks to send me the box to return the entire rifle just to replace the trigger. However, while waiting for the box to arrive I decided to get a Timney. Problem solved and it's a darn nice trigger.

I'm really leaning this way too. If you don't mind my asking, which Timney
Trigger did you get?
Thanks,
Dano

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I had given up tuning my xmarkpro. I followed all the instructions and still couldn't get it down below 3#.

Finally I just decided to try one more time. I adjusted all the settings and glued the screws then I dry fired it like 300 times. It did the trick. It's perfect now.

The gunk I cleaned off the trigger while tuning seems to be what the recall is about.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts