M14 Forum banner

Remington 700 M24 / M40 Clone

1940 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  ripcord
Did Remington ever make a USMC rifle clone in .223? 24" barrel, standard twist rifling?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two M40 Comm rifles? Huh?
Talking to a guy via telcon...says he has a Remington 700 clone of the USMC rifle in .223 with 24" heavy bbl. I have not seen the gun yet (Sunday meetup) but I'm no expert on the mil clones so I thought I would ask here. It probably is just a varmint special or some such, but as I say, I don't know them enough to say...hence my question.

· Registered
12,553 Posts
I dont know about a .223 version, probably a custom setup, but I was wondering about the 2 M40 .308 versions. I know Rem did one, I have one of those. I suspect Random Guy may be thinking of the Chuck Mawhinney rifles, but those are a custom build for CM and I dont consider them to be a Remington offering as they were built by a third party for CM.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
I suspect Random Guy may be thinking of the Chuck Mawhinney rifles, but those are a custom build for CM and I dont consider them to be a Remington offering as they were built by a third party for CM.
Well, per the former Remington Defense Sales Manager who put the actual order into the Remington system, the total Chuck Mawhinney commemorative M40s was 125 completed rifles. Just like the SSA rifles, they were all made at Remington (but with a special "CBM8541" stamp that Remington did for that commemorative). Remington did the clip slotting, barrel install, stock install (that apparently used the original subcontractor), matte finish, and delivered completed rifles. I heard that GA Precision subsequently did the nice bedding job, but rest assured other than glass-bedding, they were made at Remington, and they were based off the 1969 M40 blue-prints (with the round safety, etc). Here's how Remington marked them (clip-slotting with thumb relief is also seen):

Of those rifles, 103 had signed and numbered floorplates ("x of 103") and were for Chuck's sales, and 22 had signed but un-numbered floorplates, often referred to as "over-runs." Not sure who installed the signed floor plates. Per the former Remington Sales Manager, Marty at Badger Ordnance got most of the "over-run" rifles that had only signed floor plates. I and a few buddies bought some from him in 2014-2015. That's the high-level history from the former Remington guy. My over-run circa 2015:

Back to the original question: There was never a special commemorative M40 in .223 that I am aware of. Did the old/original Police Sniper rifles of the late 1980s/early 1990s with wood stocks come in both 308W and .223? Yes, but they are not clip-slotted replicas of the old M40. My 2cts.

· Registered
12,553 Posts
Well then I stand corrected. Thanks for the info and education! I guess my only small quibble might be, is that they were not sold to the public by Remington. But I agree it they did all that work and the only thing they didnt do was the bedding, well then its a Remington.(y)

· Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up the "clone" today. It's a Remington 700 Police Rifle...made in 1981 by date code. I'll let the seller slide as it is almost identical to the USMC rifle. It has a pair of Leupold rings on it so after we dickered a bit I bought it. Now another question: What scope would be appropriate to continue the "clone" look? I seem to remember they carried Redfield 3-9 X scopes but I'm not positive. Any help here?

· Registered
60 Posts
Believe it's a Redfield Accurange. I'm more of an A1 guy so I put a Weaver T-10 on my version. Won't work in your case. From what I've seen of those scopes they get pricey if you can find one. They do/did make repros but I'd just save my bennies for a real Redfield.

· Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Believe it's a Redfield Accurange. I'm more of an A1 guy so I put a Weaver T-10 on my version. Won't work in your case. From what I've seen of those scopes they get pricey if you can find one. They do/did make repros but I'd just save my bennies for a real Redfield.
Funny you should mention an AccuRange: I have one on a .220 Swift - been there literally for decades. Didn't know it was all that pricey these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.