M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total newb with this stuff so go easy on me....

I'm looking for a range companion in .308 for my M1A and am leaning towards the Remington 700 5R but also looking at the Savage 10 FCP ... for me the 700 gets a slight edge only because I like the looks of it a little better.

Any thoughts? Other stuff in the $1200-1500 and under price point I should be looking at?

Keep in mind that all of my past rifle shooting has been primarily hunting purposes other than range shooting with the M1A so I'm a newbie with the bolt target/range stuff.

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
My vote goes to Savage for an off the shelf bolt action. If you just want the action, the 700 is better for custom building a true BR gun. I don't like how Remington quality has slipped in the last couple of decades.

The Savage is great for guys who want an off the shelf fantastic shooter on a budget. The barrels can be swapped with little effort and the right tools. It will be a solid, respectable rifle that will only fall short once you start reaching F-class shooting.

I have a Savage and love it. If I can ever stop dumping money into my M14's I will overhaul it into a great 300WM.

In the long run, you can't go wrong with either.

Tony.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you want to start shooting right away Savage is the way to go. Mine is a .5 MOA gun all day long. I have shot it out to 1K, but regularly shoot from 600. Where I am at there is a constant left to right wind from 600 6-7 moa (36-42 inches) shooting 168 hpbt. I usually can keep it within 8-10inches at a 100 the goal is to always have all bullet holes touch.
Next long range rifle will probably be in 260 remington.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If I can ever stop dumping money into my M14's
Tony.
Blasphemy! Seriously though, that's my Achilles when it comes to working with other platforms as well, lol

Then a nicely priced receiver hits the PX and I type "I'll take it" before the little fella on my shoulder has a chance to say "but didn't you want that MST-100??"

G - Double R.

lol

Reactions: Stevie Ray

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Savage also looks to be a few dollars less than the Remington as well as being more readily available too, thanks for tips and pointers guys I'll start looking towards the Savage. I really value the info you guys here on this forum provide, I always feel like this place has always offered the best advice.

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
The Savage also looks to be a few dollars less than the Remington as well as being more readily available too, thanks for tips and pointers guys I'll start looking towards the Savage. I really value the info you guys here on this forum provide, I always feel like this place has always offered the best advice.
Great! Just don't get the bottom of the line Savage with the "package deal" simmons scope. Even if you do, the heart of the rifle (the receiver and barrel) will be good to go. The low end Savages also have flimsy stocks but that can be replaced with a Bell & Carlson stock which is not supposed to require bedding.

The model 10 FCP should be a solid tack driver right out of the box.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If you are wanting the 5R does Savage make one in a factory rifle?. Maybe old habits die hard, but when I was growing up the 2 brands you didnt want unless you got it cheap was Marlin and Savage. I've shot a couple of Savages and around 30 Remingtons. Nothing wrong with the Savages I've shot, they just dont feel right to me. Then there is the whole "dating the ugly sister" thing that goes with the Savage.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Total newb with this stuff so go easy on me....

I'm looking for a range companion in .308 for my M1A and am leaning towards the Remington 700 5R but also looking at the Savage 10 FCP ... for me the 700 gets a slight edge only because I like the looks of it a little better.

Any thoughts? Other stuff in the $1200-1500 and under price point I should be looking at?

Keep in mind that all of my past rifle shooting has been primarily hunting purposes other than range shooting with the M1A so I'm a newbie with the bolt target/range stuff.
FN SPR is a great bolt action too.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Reactions: Stevie Ray

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Another vote for the Remington 700 Mil Spec 5R. I've had thousands show up in the hands of students attending my school; every single one has been a sub-MOA capable rifle. .5-.75MOA with factory ammo is common. I've seen numerous that shot sub-.5MOA groups.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 5R is awesome, no regrets! Sent trigger off and $60 later, it breaks at 2.5 lbs and all is good!

Typical 100 yards is sub MOA as well as at distance 200, 300, 400 & 500. It's a been a great rifle!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I had the savage 10 hs precision, I really liked that rifle. The stock was very comfortable, it was not overly heavy. When I got it it hovered around .75 moa. Then I started reloading and skim bedded to try it out. With reloads it was a consistent 1/2 moa rifle.

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you are wanting the 5R does Savage make one in a factory rifle?.
Friend of mine just bought (used, from his doctor) a promotional/special run of a Savage M12 that has a funky digital camo stock and a 20" 5R barrel. He was asking me about it since I have a Model 16 and knew the product line a little. We discovered that it was a special thing Savage had with Dick's Sporting Goods.

Stevie Ray, Savages shoot really well. That HS Precision model is pretty cool. I have never heard anything but glowing remarks from that model. If you want stainless, 16's and certain model 12's are the ticket. I really want that 12 LRPV but they don't make one in a lefty for me. If you're thinking Rem700, try the LTR. Prices are a little high on those at the moment, but they are still around $900. It's the same EXACT action as the SPS Varmint without the cool stock. Those are like $500.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Can you get savage barrels readily from the big guys, and calibers like 6 mm br and 6.5cm?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
What you could do is find a used short action or long action Stevens rifle (savage) just make sure it has the action bolt spacing to fit the stock you want . Toss everything but the action buy a ready to rock barrel, a set of headspace go/no go gauges, get yourself a good trigger, and the stock of your choice and you will have a rifle exactly how you want for not a lot of $ and one that assembled. Right now I'm concentrating my efforts on my m1a and when my wife lets me know that I've blown enough money I will build a savage instead of getting a factory one. Look at most big name barrel makers websites and you will see drop in barrels for the savage rifles.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Can you get savage barrels readily from the big guys, and calibers like 6 mm br and 6.5cm?
If I understand your question, yeah. You can get barrels from everybody but I don't know if "readily" is exactly the word to choose... I waited 6 months for my Green Mountain. But yeah, they are not hard to get unless time is a big factor. My 'smith told me that all barrel manufacturers are busy and have lead times around 6 months.

But Savage does chamber in 6BR with 2 twists in the LRPV and 6.5 Creedmoor in at least one, the Long Range Precision.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Friend of mine just bought (used, from his doctor) a promotional/special run of a Savage M12 that has a funky digital camo stock and a 20" 5R barrel. He was asking me about it since I have a Model 16 and knew the product line a little. We discovered that it was a special thing Savage had with Dick's Sporting Goods.

Stevie Ray, Savages shoot really well. That HS Precision model is pretty cool. I have never heard anything but glowing remarks from that model. If you want stainless, 16's and certain model 12's are the ticket. I really want that 12 LRPV but they don't make one in a lefty for me. If you're thinking Rem700, try the LTR. Prices are a little high on those at the moment, but they are still around $900. It's the same EXACT action as the SPS Varmint without the cool stock. Those are like $500.
The 700 LTR is what I was looking at initially but I couldn't find one for sale anywhere, the 700 5R in stainless seems pretty hard to find but I've seen a few 700 5R Milspec black cerakote.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts