remington 1100 question

3368 9
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS2ESRBbiJQ[/ame]

does yours do this?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Racking the SG by hand does not duplicate the force of the bolt coming back as if actually shooting it. Would have been better doing this in action at the range. I had a 1100 3" mag that would do that when trap shooting at the range. This was with low brass, cheap target loads. Never had a problem using full power game loads. And yes, the gun needs to be clean. dozier

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting links, thanks.

As stated in the video (I think), when actually shooting the gun it functions flawlessly.

However, for 'tactical'/3-gun matches I'd like to be able to cycle live rounds without pressing the release every time. Maybe the "filing the tab" trick would do it, but I kinda like the bolt locking open when empty (and for loading first round).

Basically I want my 1100 to work like a Benelli. :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
A lot of 1100's are picky with the ammo they like, so when shooting it may eject some but not others (usually prefers heavier ammo). So if that was happening during shoots I'd just try out a different ammunition.

But no, when you're just racking it by hand it does NOT eject them fully. Just like what Dozier said, you cant replicate the force of the recoil used to eject.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kay, just to be extra clear I'm talking about loading from the magazine. Not when shooting, and not ejecting.

I want to know if it's part of the 1100 design that when you rack the bolt by hand, it always locks back, whether a round is fed from the mag or not.

In the vid you can see (ignore the ejection) that I have to push the carrier bolt release button after each time I rack the bolt.

Some have said their 1100s will feed from the mag and not lock the bolt back when racking manually (they don't have to touch the carrier/bolt release button to do so).

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
Crazy!!

I was JUST doing that after removing the plug to see if it would cycle......
Then I log on and find this post......

Unbelievable coincidence......

Anyways I have an 1100 thats almost 30 years old.

about 10 years ago I had it out on a day of light drizzle and was shooting some clays.

After about 20 rds it started jamming up and even misfiring.

I guess Ill just have to torcher test it one day to see whats the deal.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I tried both of mine and they operate the exact same way.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.

From other forums the consensus seems to be that they are designed to lock back after every shot UNLESS a shell is released from the magazine and hits the carrier latch, releasing the bolt and elevating the carrier.

And some will eject the round from the mag with sufficient force to release it while manually cycling, and some won't.

Mine obviously won't, but as long as it works perfectly when firing, I'm going to leave it alone and maybe think of another choice for 3-gun.

My Mossberg 590's been doing okay so far... it's in the loading where I lose the most time anyway. ROOL1

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yeah, 1100's aren't the best choice for 3-gun, I just use mine for hunting and the occasional 5-stand. (I have a different gun for my trapshooting)

I love them, but there's a few birds out there that probably feel differently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.