M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this rifle some years ago from individual in Indiana after some conversation, photos, etc. and always wanted to have one similar to the Sniper rifle version. Rifle was made in March of '42 and one of the last '03's before switching to the '03A3 version. All Remington metal but the stock had some issues, not major but not to my liking and replaced w/ new C style quality walnut one. Collector friend wanted my old one so helped on the cost of replacement. Did the research and placed the Unertl sight bases as directed, some 7+ inches apart and scalloped out the upper hand guard as per photos reviewed. Finished the project some 3 years or so ago and only shot it few times for zero purposes and took to local 200yd range day ago and used some quality match grade ammo for it(all previous shots w/ GI ammo) to see just how accurate it is. Bore and TE/ME scores as new and figured it would do OK, but more than OK. Granted using bag/bench but the rifle easily gives less than 1moa accuracy for 5 shot groups at 100 yds. Using 200yd SR repair center, X ring is easily ate out at the crossing of the X. Switched to 200yd target and came up couple minutes and fired shot. Did not have my Kowa scope with me, just a cheapy this day and for the life of me could not see any hits. No way could have missed so put cross hairs on white portion of target at 6 o'clock and fired three shots. Two were actually touching and other one right next to it. Not bad for a rifle 72 years old, one year older than me.
Cleaned the rifle and packed up gear and drove out to 200yd line to retrieve targets and that first shot, well it cut the X at 6 o'clock. Someday will get my Nikon Photo Shop up and running again(old computer crashed) and will post photos of the rifle/scope combo, it is a fine shooting machine. Could not help myself, just had to brag on the "old girl."

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Excellent, that is on my want list for sure. At Perry this year in Champion Shooters Supply they had replicas that had original Unertl scopes on them. Beautiful guns. Unfortunately the asking price and my willing to pay price are not the same.

Get us some pics!!

·
Retired
4,792 Posts
Bought this rifle some years ago from individual in Indiana after some conversation, photos, etc. and always wanted to have one similar to the Sniper rifle version. Rifle was made in March of '42 and one of the last '03's before switching to the '03A3 version. All Remington metal but the stock had some issues, not major but not to my liking and replaced w/ new C style quality walnut one. Collector friend wanted my old one so helped on the cost of replacement. Did the research and placed the Unertl sight bases as directed, some 7+ inches apart and scalloped out the upper hand guard as per photos reviewed. Finished the project some 3 years or so ago and only shot it few times for zero purposes and took to local 200yd range day ago and used some quality match grade ammo for it(all previous shots w/ GI ammo) to see just how accurate it is. Bore and TE/ME scores as new and figured it would do OK, but more than OK. Granted using bag/bench but the rifle easily gives less than 1moa accuracy for 5 shot groups at 100 yds. Using 200yd SR repair center, X ring is easily ate out at the crossing of the X. Switched to 200yd target and came up couple minutes and fired shot. Did not have my Kowa scope with me, just a cheapy this day and for the life of me could not see any hits. No way could have missed so put cross hairs on white portion of target at 6 o'clock and fired three shots. Two were actually touching and other one right next to it. Not bad for a rifle 72 years old, one year older than me.
Cleaned the rifle and packed up gear and drove out to 200yd line to retrieve targets and that first shot, well it cut the X at 6 o'clock. Someday will get my Nikon Photo Shop up and running again(old computer crashed) and will post photos of the rifle/scope combo, it is a fine shooting machine. Could not help myself, just had to brag on the "old girl."
Well, you give us this big story, no pics, and claim your computer crashed. Did you happen to work for the IRS???GI2
Do post some pics of your rifle when you are able. I'd love to see it.GI1
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Reactions: dist1646

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point about the IRS and computers. Figured it worked for them might as well try it.
Seriously, have had conversation with Nikon and they walked me through the program but will re contact them next week for more guidance. Am waiting for return of LRB M14SA back from LRB finishing up stock fitting/bedding and while there doing all the NM upgrades as well. When it returns will definitely do everything I can to give you guys some "real eye candy" with '03, Garand, and the M14. Over the years have accumulated several rifles, shotguns, etc. and with age realize it is time to move them on for not something I want the wife to worry about, but these three will be held onto until the last bell rings. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Sounds like a great combination. I've never owned an 03, 03A3 or 03A4 that wasn't a fine shooter. As a collecter though, I'm not willing to drill and tap any that didn't come that way from the factory. Fortunately, there are enough which have already been scoped on the market so there's no loss with one of these. At 70+, every year that I can still shoot iron sights is a plus and it'll be a sad day when I have to put the 03s away. M1s and M14s are wonderful but if one doesn't mind the recoil, there's nothing quite like an 03 for heavier bullet weights.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Several years ago I had a 03 action (it was a Pederson action with the slot milled in it) that had been converted to a bench rest rifle by adding a 1" bull barrel, a Bishop benchrest stock and a Unertl 10X shock mounted scope. It was chambered in .257 Ackley Mag and was built by P.O. Ackley when he worked at a popular sporting goods store in Seattle, WA. It was a neat combination. The .257 Ackley Mag case was made by necking down the case mouth of a .264 Winchester Mag. It was badly overbore and the only powder that gave me decent barrel life was 5010 .50 Cal machine gun powder. I had to have the barrel set back a couple of times due to TE.

I let a buddy talk me out of it with the proviso that I'd get it back but he got tangled up with a biker gang and they found him under his car that he'd been working on with the jack stands kicked out from underneath it. All his guns were missing.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
That's sad. The rifle is relatively unique so I hope it turns up someday. Did you report the SN to the police?

My best bolt is an 03A1 National Match from the very early 30s still in the original .30-06. It draws a lot of lookers at the range and will always be a favorite. It'll be a sad day when I can no longer use those sights but I have a feeling it'll stay in the family.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
That was around 30 years ago so little hope of seeing that one again. I wasn't a cop back then and it never occurred to me to report the s/n to the authorities.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
We had a shooter leave a cased rifle at our range. No one knew whose it was so it was turned over to the sheriff's Dept. and he later claimed it, but not before they'd checked the serial number. The deputy told us he had gotten a hit on the number, but it was from a handgun stolen in France. There's always hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts