1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

Reactions: unkola

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh yeah, of course I remember that one. It was the first full feature scary movie I ever watched. We were moving from Gulfport Mississippi to Norfolk Va, when I was about 11 with my dad and younger sister. My mom and older sister left a few days before us. We stopped at a hotel for the night and my dad found the movie on HBO. He didn’t seem to care if it terrified my sister and me. He would even ask us. Did you see that?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yep, good movie. Gross but scary, however I think I like the original 1951 version a bit better, with James Arness as the carrot monster.
Yes. Kenneth Tobey.....watched his TV Show "The Whirlybirds"! Dang I'm old.

·
Registered
11,787 Posts

Whirlybirds was a fav at my house too.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Hi,
I didn't know what I was looking at, until I saw Kurt Russell, and then it all came back!

Reactions: brianns

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Yeah "The Thing", seen both versions many times and always a treat around Halloween. Always liked Ol' Brimley with his S&W model 10 in the newish 1982 version...

"It! The Terror from Beyond Space" played last night and the plot was somewhat the same as "The Thing", but takes place on a spaceship, much like 1979's "Alien". Seems like this plot of a hungry alien using us for food and breeding purposes plays out every day on our Southern border and on the Democrat reservations...

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
1982 The Thing - I recall several WTH scenes:
The spider head.
When the doctor becomes an amputee.
The mini spaceship is discovered.
The Thing moves under the dirt leaving a wake of flying debris.

Now those tricks seem kinda common place but were pretty cutting edge back then.

I'm tired of CGI you can almost always tell. I get that CGI is safer (safer than Alec Baldwin producing a western) and less expensive but I see it and feel cheeped. With CGI I feel like I'm watching a cartoon, give me the animatronics/FX - like The Thing.

I can almost always tell when the dinosaurs in a movie are fake. :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Love that movie too. The problem with Hollywood is the recycling of old stories/movies. For me one of the best new ones is “Old Henry”, a good story with good acting. Red Dawn, like both but prefer the original. Predator, the first is the best but the latest (Prey) is good too because of the story line. It’s very rare when a complete series of movies lives up to the original idea.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Yes, the Whirlybirds! Grew up watching it.

made me love helicopters enough to get rated in them. My flight instructor check ride was a Bell 47 with wooden rotor blades.
I have a 5 dvd set of the tv show.

great memories!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Yes, the Whirlybirds! Grew up watching it.

made me love helicopters enough to get rated in them. My flight instructor check ride was a Bell 47 with wooden rotor blades.
I have a 5 dvd set of the tv show.

great memories!
Wow! Never thought of wood rotor blades on a helicopter before. I’m wanting to take some lessons again lately.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow! Never thought of wood rotor blades on a helicopter before. I’m wanting to take some lessons again lately.
yes, it was a late 1950’s Bell 47 if I remember right. That was about 1972 or so.
Flew an S-76 Sikorsky for 19 years, Hughes 500c ( Magnum Pi), Bell Jetranger, Jet Ranger military version OH-58 in Iran along with UH-1H, UH-1N and Marine AH-1J Cobra.

you should do it. Can never be taken away from you.

Ever seen “Birds of Prey”? 1970’s movie with David Jansen. Hughes 500 and French Allouette 2.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
yes, it was a late 1950’s Bell 47 if I remember right. That was about 1972 or so.
Flew an S-76 Sikorsky for 19 years, Hughes 500c ( Magnum Pi), Bell Jetranger, Jet Ranger military version OH-58 in Iran along with UH-1H, UH-1N and Marine AH-1J Cobra.

you should do it. Can never be taken away from you.

Ever seen “Birds of Prey”? 1970’s movie with David Jansen. Hughes 500 and French Allouette 2.
I might just do it. If at least to get the skills down.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts