M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my question is its very comon to see Hk91/93/94's remarked to say G3K or MP5 for example, aside from it being obviously a pain in the a## how come this isn't done to our beloved M1A's? Why can't you have the 7.62-mm for those of us that dont have the upper case, filled in and then remarked like the original to 7.62-MM, also the M1A to M14, and if you so desired the trademark? HK91 remarking is still an option to have done to read G3K so why not the M1A?

James

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
M1A is a Registered Trade Mark by SAI for their Rifles, I do not think that they would take too kindly to them being remarked!ICONWINK

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M1A is a Registered Trade Mark by SAI for their Rifles, I do not think that they would take too kindly to them being remarked!ICONWINK
True, but the question still stands, just wanted to know. Really i just want SAI to bring back the 7.62 marked receivers, as i understand it was because they ofered the M1A in other calibers, but they dont anymore, so what's there problem? >: |
Oh and also why they still neuter all there flash hiders, all cosmetic but still something i prefer and why i always buy preban weapons.

James

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It can be done...

but getting them to do it...who knows.

Others didn't have the problem.
Bruce

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had thought about taking a side marked Norinco or Polytech and putting era correct Winchester or TRW or some other markings on the blank heel. You haven't defaced the original manufactures mark so no legal problems and it would look really cool.
Mike

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
So my question is its very comon to see Hk91/93/94's remarked to say G3K or MP5 for example, aside from it being obviously a pain in the a## how come this isn't done to our beloved M1A's? Why can't you have the 7.62-mm for those of us that dont have the upper case, filled in and then remarked like the original to 7.62-MM, also the M1A to M14, and if you so desired the trademark? HK91 remarking is still an option to have done to read G3K so why not the M1A?

James
schaz, I'm going from memory on this one, so I might be wrong. If I remember the Fed statutes, any markings put on by the original manufacturer should not be altered in any way. This would include the mfg.s name, caliber, SN, and Model #. I believe any altering of this info would be in violation of Fed. Law. dozier

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
You can put anything you want on a Poly heel, as long as you do not alter the side with the manufactures number on it. I have seen one that says:

U.S. Rifle
7.62mm M14
(owners name)

Came out cool, but then again...Why?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Oh and also why they still neuter all there flash hiders, all cosmetic but still something i prefer and why i always buy preban weapons.

James
James - They neuter their flash hiders for purely economic reasons. To spend the money to retool is probably a bad economic decision in their minds, since lugs could easily become restricted again. They're not losing any money over it. People will keep buying them....

It would be nice if they "rounded-out" the bottoms. It would look at least marginally better than having that "flat" where a lug belongs. The flat area is like a slap in the face for the discerning buyer, like "you know something belongs here, but you ain't gettin' it"....

·
Registered
558 Posts
schaz, I'm going from memory on this one, so I might be wrong. If I remember the Fed statutes, any markings put on by the original manufacturer should not be altered in any way. This would include the mfg.s name, caliber, SN, and Model #. I believe any altering of this info would be in violation of Fed. Law. dozier
This is correct as far as I know....

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
James - They neuter their flash hiders for purely economic reasons. To spend the money to retool is probably a bad economic decision in their minds, since lugs could easily become restricted again. They're not losing any money over it, people keep buying them....
The reason why is the rifle is a sporting rifle and not a asult rifle. You have all the evil makings of a asult rifle deleted by not having a bayonet lug and you get a 10 or 5 round mag with your new Springfield.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
M14 Markings.

I have seen one Chinese side marked M14 with the top half of the heal milled off and a Winchester M14 receiver heel welded back on it. It was nicely done, but legally it was in a "gray" area, so I steered away from it. It still had the Chinese markings and serial number on the side. That was in about 2003 at a gun show here in Kansas City. It has made me wonder about it for years now. Not sure if it was heat treated afterwards, but pretty sure it was not.

Someone could come up with a magnetically attached cover plate for the rear end that would reproduce the H&R, Springfield, TRW, and Winchester receiver heel markings.
But again I am not sure about this legality also.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I would agree with you but HK94's are remarked MP5 all the time, as with Hk91 to G3K, also there is a a member on HKpro.com that remarkes SL-8's to read G36, one just probably needs prior approval from ATF. TSCMachine.com is a current example of a company that will remark my hk91 to G3 if i so desire, I'll ask them about it and see if they can shed some light on it.

James

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Guys, I think the laws regarding engraving, etc are clear. Mark whatever you want to on the rifle, just don't alter the factory applied serial number. Put a skull and crossbones on the heel, it don't matter, just leave the importer and serial number as is. Here is the dope...As long as these original markings are not altered in any way:
Source, ATF 18 U.S.C. § 923(i) and 27 CFR § 478.92, 26 U.S.C. § 5842 and 27 CFR § 479.102

Serial Number
Must be conspicuously engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame or receiver
The serial number cannot duplicate the serial number appearing on any other firearm the importer previously imported
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch

Name of Manufacturer
Must be conspicuously engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame, receiver, barrel or slide
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

Country of Origin
Must be conspicuously engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame, receiver, barrel or slide
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the country of origin must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

Model Designation (if assigned)
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the model designation must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

Caliber or Guage
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the caliber or gauge must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

Name of Importer
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing) of the importer’s name must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

City & State of the Importer
For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping (impressing)

HKs get away with it because they were imported prior to 2002. No different than marking your DL or SSN on a rifle...(what a screw up!)

Performing a cosmetic process or activity, such as camouflaging, that primarily adds to or
changes the appearance or decoration of a firearm is not manufacturing. Unlike
manufacturing processes that primarily enhance a firearm's durability, camouflaging is
primarily cosmetic. Likewise, external engravings are cosmetic in nature and primarily
affect only the appearance of a firearm.
Held further, any person who engages in an activity or process that primarily adds to
or changes a firearm's appearance by engraving the external surface of the firearm does not
need to be licensed as a manufacturer under the Gun Control Act.18 U.S.C. 921(a): DEFINITIONS

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Thanks 7.62bthp, for clearing up the matter. So as it stands, you can engrave anything on the rifle/pistol, just don't remove any of the original markings. Wondering why anybody would want to do that anyway? dozier

·
Registered
927 Posts
Dozier, I think the only reason I would want to remark is because the blank heel of a Polytech is........ well it looks kinda blank. GI6 I have thought about doing this to my side marked Polytechs , but using the markings some like this;

POLYTECH M14S
7.62 MM
040XX

Nothing fancy, but something on the blank heel.

Boomer

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks 7.62bthp, for clearing up the matter. So as it stands, you can engrave anything on the rifle/pistol, just don't remove any of the original markings. Wondering why anybody would want to do that anyway? dozier
Negative, you can't remove the serial number. The model can be changed to read M14 as can the mm to MM and trade mark, got it from the Hkpro guys, thanks

James

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
if im not mistaken the sai rifles are neutered and ship with 10rd mags because of us parts count and 922r. i will have my unmarked norinco engraved one day if i ever assemble all the parts from the same mfg.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if im not mistaken the sai rifles are neutered and ship with 10rd mags because of us parts count and 922r. i will have my unmarked norinco engraved one day if i ever assemble all the parts from the same mfg.
SAI's are made here in the US so the 922r doesn't apply, and earlier it was stated that the 10 rounders are to keep it from falling into the assault weapon category which is probably right, just sucks. And for your norinco most of the M14's I've seen are pretty mismatched, I think you should go with which ever you think is the best, I personally like the Springfield ones the best, nothing like th original, and they're the fewest made : )

James

1 - 19 of 19 Posts