M14 Forum banner

Rem 1903A3

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Duce 
#1 ·
Picked up a nice Remington 1903A3 a few months back. It had a straight stock, but unfortunately, someone had previously sanded it down along with most of the stamps, which while still could be seen, were nothing but a shadow of their former selves.

Decided to put a "C" stock on it. Ordered a 1903 "C" stock from the CMP. Looked good when it arrived. Believe that it was made by Boyds for CMP. However, being that it was a 1903, needed to find a A3 hand guard. Ended up getting one from The Collector Source. Looked great upon arrival. However, this was advertised as NOS and being made during WWII. Hmmm.... didn't look to be nearly 70 years old. But what do I know. Wasn't going for anything period correct, so it really didn't matter.

Installation was rather easy. Not necessarily "drop in" but rather close. The hand guard is just a hair longer than the stock, but not really noticeable.

Put on about 7 or 8 coats of pure tung oil. Have let it cure for about two weeks. Here's the final product.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice! I have a 1903A1 that has a ratty C stock on it. Several cracks and splits. I had a 1903 stock ordered from the CMP but cancelled it when I heard from several people that they were ill fitting. Sounds like I'll need to rethink that one.

#4 ·
How long ago was that? I recall reading where as little as about three years ago there were problems, but it seems that these problem (similar to the M1 Garand stocks) had been remedied. However, when I first receive it the receiver wouldn't seat very well. I was thinking that I had to do some fitting, and set it aside. Well, one day turned into two or three months, and the next time I tried it, with a little urging, fell right in.

#3 ·
Nice looking '03 there! I regret selling the one I used to have. I was shooting it at the range next to one of the police "snipers" one day. When he finished, he came over and showed me the 2 inch group he had just shot with his $8,000 sniper rifle. Then he asked how my rifle shot. I told him to look at the target on the table next to me, he looked and said where is the group. I said, "You have to move the dime.".

#5 ·
That's probably about the right time frame. I just haven't had that 03A1 out of the safe for awhile.

#7 ·
Duce that turned out great. I prefer the C stock myself. I got the USMC front sight cover, but can't tell from the pic if that's what you have. A real help in the sun.
I enjoy the hell out of my A303, hope you do too. Congrats.

#14 ·
Both are nice rifles, you gotta try a sniper match its a hoot. I think they have one up in MN check the CMP competition tracker website for sure. One little hint tho if ya handload 175grain SMK with about 47.5 grains of IMR 4064 is about perfedt for them. Also duplicates M118LR in 30-06.

#15 ·
Looked great upon arrival. However, this was advertised as NOS and being made during WWII. Hmmm.... didn't look to be nearly 70 years old. But what do I know. Wasn't going for anything period correct, so it really didn't matter.
NOS means New Old Stock, it should look as though it was made yesterday not 70 years ago, they are a good legit company
Good looking rifle

#16 ·
I know what NOS means. But the hand guard looked too new, especially for wood. And it needed more fitting than the actual stock. Had to trim about 1/8" off both ends of the semi-circular tab that seats within the ring resting on the forward end of the receiver, otherwise it wouldn't fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.