M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the safety on my springfielg m1a is pretty hard to engage. pushing the safety off is easy. i've taken the trigger assy apart and cleaned and lubed it. when pushing on the safety i see it moves the hammer a bit so i can see i am fighting that spring. its the same with the trigger assy in or out of the stock. with the trigger assy in my hand i can push down on the hammer gently and then the safety freely moves. is this normal? i havn't used the safety on any other m1a to compare. its always been that way. i just expect it to be easier to move to the safe position. its about 3-4 times harder to put on vs put off.USAF2

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Completly normal. The more you use it the easier it will get.
It will take awhile to loosen up.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I hear you Gary, mines the same way. Sometimes I put a glove on and work it back and forth while watching TV. It seems to be helping a bit.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I hear you Gary, mines the same way. Sometimes I put a glove on and work it back and forth while watching TV. It seems to be helping a bit.
Haaa haa ha...If I had a penny for every time I worked on an
M14 rifle or 1911 that needed repititious attention while watching TV....I would be rich Hat !!

Hi Gary,
Just so I stay on topic and don't rile the mods,... the safety is designed to be difficult to engage, there would be nothing worse than going for a reload or fumbling around in the dark under fire, and inadvertantly knock it on safe, enemy charging your position, and it could get even stickier real quick.

You didn't mention if your trigger group is G.I. or commercial.

Some safeties that were cast commercial I have found to be burred at the tip after only a few uses, you might check yours. The burrs will be on the left and right sides and causing it to drag, right at the locking point where it meets the hammer. The material is soft on some and will force material to the sides from hammer interactions. Knock em down with a file if they are dragging, but stay off the hook area ! keep a close eye on it too for future wear, I recommend a USGI safety or one of the newer 762MM safeties being produced now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a real safe safety

thanks a bunch guys. i'm not alone. the idea about the safety being hard to put on makes sense. whole lotta sense. i got plenty of time to work it while watchin the 'military channel' on the tube. i'd guess it's a commercial one as my m1a is about 10 years old from springfield armory. i'll take a look at any burring or wear on the safety. it hasnt been shot much, maybee 200 rounds. i'm not an experienced rifle guy, my military time was makin sure air force,..... well all planes could navigate around and find their way home.
i 'll leave all the real shooting and rukus raising to my sf son. thanks again. USAF2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts