·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
500rds of LC brass from Brassmanbrass.com
500-147gr LC pulled FMJ pills
Wolf primers
H4895

what the hey?? removing the crimp on 500 primer pockets by hand is for the birds...

Loaded up 10 of each- 37gr,38gr,39,gr,40gr,41gr.42gr. crimped

Headed to the range soon to shoot some groups.....

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You should try doing 1700 GGG cases! The brass is harder and the crimp is heavier.
37gr. may be too low a charge. H4895 produces less gas, which may cause cycling issues. 39-40gr may be a better starting point. And you should be setting your charges by .5 grains. Once I get above 40.5 I set my charges at every .3 grains.
Let us know how the wolf primers work please.

Glenn

·
Registered
38 Posts
You should try doing 1700 GGG cases! The brass is harder and the crimp is heavier.
37gr. may be too low a charge. H4895 produces less gas, which may cause cycling issues. 39-40gr may be a better starting point. And you should be setting your charges by .5 grains. Once I get above 40.5 I set my charges at every .3 grains.
Let us know how the wolf primers work please.

Glenn
Oh yeah... been there done that... dillon swager comes in handy..have to agree with you 37grs does sound a little on the light side, would be interesting to see if it cycles the action all the time. Wolf primers no issues here.

-Rock

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also, no need to crimp ... may increase your pressure. Neck tension should be more than sufficient to hold bullet in place. What COL are you using?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
and when you want to shoot for accuracy, ditch the 147's, get some real boolits.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoppies!!

Love the smell of gun oil.....

Just done cleaning everything. shot 4 rifles today....

But I'm sure you guys only care about the M1A...

Love it when my loads are the most accurate with the heaviest load!!

All the loads worked great. With the best group being the 42gr
My Hornady Manual says I can load one grain higher but I'm not gonna.

Wolf primers work the same as all the more expensive ones.

How often should I clean the gas plug assembly?

The threads on the gas plug are fine and I don't want to strip them by overworking them.

How often or should I say how many rounds before I should tear down the gas system and clean it?

Thanks..

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, no need to crimp ... may increase your pressure. Neck tension should be more than sufficient to hold bullet in place. What COL are you using?
COL is 2.790
As for the neck tension is enough......I have a looked at some unfired rounds that have been chambered and they are noticeably crooked. I threw one on the concentricity gauge and I was amazed...
I like the crimp with this rifle but I agree it's not a must..

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and when you want to shoot for accuracy, ditch the 147's, get some real boolits.
I know as soon as I find some good ones in bulk I will....:)

what do you use?

·
Registered
270 Posts
load

I have had excellent results with Nosler non competition 168 HPBT bullets and H4895. COL 2.80 and 41gr of powder. CCI standard primers. I've got 5 M1As that love this one. Only two don't. Honest 2" 7 shot groups is about what they all do. 100yds. No bedded match guns. Also Hornady 147FMJs with 43gr loaded at the cannelure does pretty well in my other two. About the same accuracy with a few flyers mixed in, but certainly better than any surp I've shot in them. A mixed bag of barrels on the rifles. GI, SAI, and criterians. The Nosler non competitions are signif cheaper than the comp bullets. Not sure what the difference is. I've gotton them at Mid South Shooter Supply.

·
Registered
996 Posts

The threads on the gas plug are fine and I don't want to strip them by overworking them.

How often or should I say how many rounds before I should tear down the gas system and clean it?

Thanks..
Every 300 rounds or so works pretty well as a rule of thumb.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Thank you for the update. I would like to see what other rifles you where shooting.
I was on the fence about trying Wolf primers, but more people have been using them in M1A's with no problems. So I think it would be worth a try.
I also clean my gas system about every 300 rounds. Use a gas cylinder lock wrench and a m14 combo tool(or 3/8" wrench) to remove the gas plug. When re-installing the gas plug rotate the plug counter clockwise(slowly) and when the threads line up, you will feel the threads drop in together. Then thread in clockwise and this will keep you from crossthreading the gas plug.

Glenn

·
Registered
362 Posts
My Scout had just under 1400 rounds through it the last time I cleaned the gas system, and probably 1100 rounds of that was Pakistani ball ammo, but the rifle still passed the "tilt test" with no problems and showed no signs of decreased accuracy. OTOH, my custom-built "DMR Clone" that is used only with my handloads gets the gas system cleaned about every 300 rounds, to help maintain better consistancy. So - for me anyway - it depends on what the rifle's being used for...

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Cool. Im not really worried about cross threading the plug, just overcleaning the system.

I will look at mid south shooter supply for better bullets next time I order bulk..if it's still legal then....

Thanks for the wisdom fellas............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts