M14 Forum banner

Reloading

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  MemphisMachinists 
#1 ·
It's been a while since I have done any reloading. I decided to get off my ass and get-r-done. I spent half my time looking for stuff and the other half trying to remember what to do. Spent most of the afternoon and evening; got 100 rds loaded. This was some LC I bought at a gun show a couple weeks ago and the primer pockets were swedged. The guy that sold it to me said that is how you could tell it was once fired. I believe him. My reloading area is not all neat and organized like a bunch of you guys. Sometimes I do it in the house sometimes in the garage. This is very questionable about the economic soundness if my time has any value at all.

I may try to load up a couple hundred rounds more while I have everyting in one place. I sized some brass that I had shot myself and I didn't have to lube, but about every fifth round or so. The stuff I bought I had to lube every round.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I guess I was really just venting. I don't shoot competetively or really all that much (compared to some of you). The man that sold me that brass promised me it had not been shot in a machine gun, he wouldn't lie to me I'm sure. GI2 The frustration For me was mainly in knowing I had tools, but not being able to find them. When I realised that I was going to have to deprime these things and then hand cut the primer pockets, well lets just say I was not happy. I have pretty much quit buying used brass, but it was a deal!

I got into reloading to save money and improve the quality of my ammo. I think it does both of these things. I just wasn't counting on it being such a time hole. I almost bought a progressive loader once. I probably would never get it set and going. I actually do have an inline prog. style that I got at a yard sale. I started rebuilding it a couple of years ago and never finished it. I would let it go at a bargain. GI3

Thanks for the tip ,Texindian, about spining the case I wil try that some time.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I mounted a second press on my bench. No more swedged primers for me. I want to deprime, size, and reprime in one press, charge the powder from a powder stand and set the bullet in the other press. I may have hit a berdan type cartridge by mistake Sunday and bent my Primer pin and its holder. I called RCBS and they are sending me a new one for free even though I told them it was operator error. Great customer service! They even said they would send me a pack of 5 pins for free in case I mess up again.
I keep finding brass that I can fill. Once I get started back I am going to be a reloding fool.
Maybe we should post pics and see who has the messy'st bench

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.