M14 Forum banner

Reloading

1362 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  MemphisMachinists
It's been a while since I have done any reloading. I decided to get off my ass and get-r-done. I spent half my time looking for stuff and the other half trying to remember what to do. Spent most of the afternoon and evening; got 100 rds loaded. This was some LC I bought at a gun show a couple weeks ago and the primer pockets were swedged. The guy that sold it to me said that is how you could tell it was once fired. I believe him. My reloading area is not all neat and organized like a bunch of you guys. Sometimes I do it in the house sometimes in the garage. This is very questionable about the economic soundness if my time has any value at all.

I may try to load up a couple hundred rounds more while I have everyting in one place. I sized some brass that I had shot myself and I didn't have to lube, but about every fifth round or so. The stuff I bought I had to lube every round.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
476 Posts
You should see my bench, crap everywhere! That said I do know where most things are, at least sometimes. I don't know about the LC, I've never loaded it, and don't have a hole lot of practice on bottle neck cases, only 3-400 total. Maybe 5k of 45 and such though. As far as economy, I don't really save money on .308, but it sure is nice to have precession match grade ammo. I do save money on some rounds, like 45 colt, and especially on odd ammo like 45-75 WCF. And I try to do loading a little at a time so I don't feel pressed.

With pistol rounds I rarely lube, the wonder of carbide dies. With bottle neck rounds I lube just about everyone. Really like the Lee case lube.

· Registered
726 Posts
Unless you buy a LOT of supplies, including many boxes of primers and many jugs of powder at the same time....you're not really saving any money.
You're getting custom loaded ammo you can tailor to your specific needs without paying too much for it.
Then's there's your time's value and the extra space to hold it all as you use it.
It's usually not a money-saver at all un less you shoot hundreds of rounds a week.
But then you'll also be spending a lot more time processing spent cases..cleaning/resizing/cleaning again/priming/pouring/seating.
It's all part of the equation, along with tracking accuracy/reading brass for pressure signs...yadda,yadda, yadda.

But that's why we're in the game and when you can get consistent sub-moa..it makes it all worth while.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
The LC brass you got was probably shot through a machine gun. With my dies(Redding) I have to lube every time. I use Redding Imperial dry neck lube on the neck and shoulder and Imperial sizing die wax on the case body.
As for saving money reloading, it does not happen. The money you would use buying cartridges gets spent on supplies. What you get is a cartridge that is customized to your rifle and the satisfaction of self-reliance.
As to your time. It's your life, live it to the fullest.(Reloading included)

Glenn

· Rest in Peace
2,064 Posts
+1 on what geepee3 said about the LC cases having been fired in machine guns. That's real common for once-fired military brass. The machine guns have extra-large chambers so it takes a lot of oomph to get the cases sized back to spec. One bit of advice you'll see from time to time is to size that brass, spin it 180 degrees in the shellholder, and then size it again. It helps really get it back to the right size.

I typically lube every case when full-length resizing no matter what it is. All it takes is to get one case stuck in your die and you'll understand the worth of lubing everything.

I used to shoot competitively and went through a ton of ammo. I figured at the time I was saving about 50% on the cost of top-quality ammo. But that did not factor in my time. For guys like me, reloading is a relaxing way to spend my time. Yeah, sometimes it may be a pain but for the most part I like fiddling around and enjoy making the best stuff I can make.

· Registered
4,149 Posts
Reloading does not save you money. You just shoot a Whole Lot More for the same price.
My Myself is very Anal about my Bench and Quality Control. When Buying Components do not buy just a 100 or 1000. Buy 6000 pills at a time. the bigger lots you buy the Price decreases significantly.
I have well over 50k of assorted primers, Lord I got a Deal.
Sure it is a big upfront expense but the savings are worth it.and as said earlier they are customized for your rifles.

· Registered
763 Posts
I did a quick count in my mind on the primers when Charles postal wade said he had 50 K. When I get down close to 10Kon any one I get a twitch, so around 50K As for my space, I picked up a tall book case at a yard sale today. So my space is looking some what better.
I've had stuck cases from not lubeing so now I lube each case. Less trouble then getting a stuck case out of the die. And may be doing harm to the die. But saving I think so, prices for loaded ammo are going through the roof. As are the cost for components, but if I want a projectile to go x fps I can do it. Being retired time isn't a problem as long as it doesn't cut in to my riding time.

· Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I guess I was really just venting. I don't shoot competetively or really all that much (compared to some of you). The man that sold me that brass promised me it had not been shot in a machine gun, he wouldn't lie to me I'm sure. GI2 The frustration For me was mainly in knowing I had tools, but not being able to find them. When I realised that I was going to have to deprime these things and then hand cut the primer pockets, well lets just say I was not happy. I have pretty much quit buying used brass, but it was a deal!

I got into reloading to save money and improve the quality of my ammo. I think it does both of these things. I just wasn't counting on it being such a time hole. I almost bought a progressive loader once. I probably would never get it set and going. I actually do have an inline prog. style that I got at a yard sale. I started rebuilding it a couple of years ago and never finished it. I would let it go at a bargain. GI3

Thanks for the tip ,Texindian, about spining the case I wil try that some time.

· Registered
3,271 Posts
It's a trade-off... time for money. I don't have just gobs of free time anymore, but when I do, I retreat upstairs and crunch a few bullets. I enjoy just the process of reloading almost as much as I do shooting... if you can believe that.

I reload some wierd rounds... .41Mag, .348WCF; and some expensive rounds... .30-06, .380ACP (remember when .380 was $50 a box?), and some plentiful rounds... .45ACP, 7.62mm and, very soon, 5.56mm. I could only afford to shoot all this because I reload.

Back when surplus was $100/case it wasn't that big of a deal, even commercially available .45/9mm/5.56mm/etc was pretty cheap... but those days are largely gone.

Like any good tool(s), once the initial investment is made, all you really need is the components. I don't think I've bought a reloading tool in some years, I have everything I need for what I have; now it's just a search for components.

Like CPW says, buy as big of quantity as you can. I bought an 8# keg of Unique back in the '90's that I'm still loading on today... at $9/lb, instead of the current $20+/lb.

· Registered
2,764 Posts
You should see my bench, crap everywhere! That said I do know where most things are, at least sometimes.
I have seen your bench GI6 Looked fine to me.

· Registered
476 Posts
You mean about normal? If mine looks OK, I'd hate to see yours!

If your interested in saving a bit of time, I can't recommend the Lee cast progressive enough. It's fast and simple and reliable, easy to set up, and once you set your dies up you just change the aluminum die plate and shell holder to change to different ammo. It's not as fast as a true progressive, but a lot faster than a single stage.

· Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mounted a second press on my bench. No more swedged primers for me. I want to deprime, size, and reprime in one press, charge the powder from a powder stand and set the bullet in the other press. I may have hit a berdan type cartridge by mistake Sunday and bent my Primer pin and its holder. I called RCBS and they are sending me a new one for free even though I told them it was operator error. Great customer service! They even said they would send me a pack of 5 pins for free in case I mess up again.
I keep finding brass that I can fill. Once I get started back I am going to be a reloding fool.
Maybe we should post pics and see who has the messy'st bench

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.