M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the local shop picking up IMR-4895 and primers and had planned to buy the Sierra MatchKing 168's but given that these are about $33 per 100 and right next to them was a box of Remington Accutip 165 gr bullets that were on sale and a bunch cheaper. I have never loaded .308 (or any rifle cartridges for that matter - I have loaded a bunch of handgun stuff - but never rifle) and I expect that I am going to screw some of these up so I picked up a box of these. After I got home I realized that I might want to confirm that the the polimer tip on these does not present any issues for the M1A. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Polymer tips are good to go. As long as the bullet has a spire point it will feed fine. Round tips cause problems in these rifles.

Glenn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good stuff... thanks...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
BTW, I'm pretty sure Hornady makes those for Rem. Check'em next to some Hornady poly tips, do the measurements and let us know if you could.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, I'm pretty sure Hornady makes those for Rem. Check'em next to some Hornady poly tips, do the measurements and let us know if you could.
I'll look for the Hornadys next time I am in town. For the moment I can give you this... the bullets are 1.2665 inches in length and .3075 in diameter (according to my cheapie calipers). Picture attached... Oh - and my smug "I saved $20" feeling went away when I realized that Remington packages 50 of these in a box that is close enough to the size of Sierra's 100 count boxes that I didn't check the qty lable. So instead of saving 20 dollars over the MatchKings - it is more like $7... Live and learn...

·
Registered
249 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd speculate that they would not be as accurate as the Sierras, just because of the cannelure. They are probably not bad though (still better than FMJ since it has a copper back), and you wouldn't have to worry about bullet movement once it is crimped. Would be a fine round to load up and save for a red dawn GI2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah - I'll be loading the match kings (now that I caught the blunder re 50 instead of 100) for range/match shooting and will stock up on some of the higher quality surplus stuff for buffer....

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been playing with various loads in my wife's LR-10 and have got sub-MOA groups with the Rem 165 Accutips. Haven't tried the SMK's yet....O.L.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts