M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the way ammo availability and prices have gone, I've started saving my brass and would like to reload it.

Awhile back, I was at a show and a fellow had a neat system for shotguns. All he had to do was set the empty shell into it and pull the lever a few times. The contraption dropped in the right quantities of everything and capped it done. I was impressed.

Does such a thing exist for rimfire and centerfire rounds? With which systems have you had the best experience (i.e. easy to use, a complete system and accurate)?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The devil is in the details, as they say, but yes, there are progressive presses available for rifle cartridges. Dillon makes a few that get great reviews from their owners. Of course, you have to set up the press for each run you wish to make, load the primers, load the brass, load the bullets, set the brass trimmers, adjust the powder thrower for the powder you want and adjust all the dies for proper cartridge headspace and bullet seating. There is quite a bit involved and your options will vary according to your taste.

I only load 200 rounds per week or less and find that a single stage press suits me fine. I'm very conservative and like to inspect my primers, brass, bullets and powder every step of the way. It's part of the hobby for me and while some parts can be tedious at times, I prefer to keep the process tightly under my thumb.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Loaded pistol ammo of several calibers for many chambers, some rifle rounds (not many as rifle shooter loaded their own). Cheaper ammo and with attention higher quality. Greater satisfaction when you see the center of the X cut and you planned the shot from the case prep onwards.

Started with a friend and anRCBS RockChucker, went to Dillon 450 and upgraded to 550-650 whatever the number is currently. I could load 600 rds/hr with someone supplying primers and that's checking three power throws per 100 rounds. AND turning out a custom cartridge for your pistol (revolver). Dillon has a great system and is able to meet any need up to .50 BMG (maybe bigger now). If you are able go to an ammo plant and see how the big boys load and get an idea how volume and quality meet.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I'm in the process of setting up my new Hornady progressive just delivered last week from Natchez Shooters supply.

4Quangs gave you a pretty good run down on the idea, . . . but with some of the new ones (Dillon 650, Hornady LNL-AP), . . . you set up your run once, . . . and then remove it set up and it is supposed to be really easy to hit that set up again next time.

I reload .45ACP, .45LC, 7.62, 5.56, .44MAG and .38/357. Before, it was all done on a single stage Lyman Spartan or a Lee 1000 (UGH !).

My arthritis and joints just simply refuse to allow me to do the continuous multiple pulls on the handle to get the rounds, . . . when I can trim each round down to basically 1 pull per round. Plus the leverage on this new press is something much better than the single stage.

Ultra precision will only come with the single stage reloader, . . . of that I am convinced, but most of my stuff is done for plinking, . . . so I can pass muster on ammo that is less than "el perfecto".

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
This is the king of reloading presses. The Dillon super 1050............. when you absolutely ,positively have to load every case in the room accept no substitutes!! All hail the king!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I use the Forster CO AX. The reviews on midwayusa say it all 81 reviews. All 5 stars. http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/265719/forster-co-ax-single-stage-press
Be cautious of reviews. They are usually initial opinions, usually from the inexperienced, and not scientific/systematic evaluations at all. Read how many are posting reviews of products immediately after opening the box...some post before the product arrives and are no more than '...look what I bought...'.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ive been using a RCBS single stage for all my rifle, and a lyman turret for the handgun stuff for about 15 years now. Never really saw the need to change, I enjoy the reloading as a hobby

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
To be honest with you I would start with a lee breech lock kit. It's inexpensive and gives you everything you need to get started. The quality of the components is actually pretty good, I swapped out the scale, for a dillion scale, just cuz I didn't like the roller ball mechanism, but everything else is gtg.

You can always upgrade later. Get started with a single stage press so you understand and practice every operation. The devil's in the details, check, check, and recheck everything. Maintain a strict regimen when reloading, it will keep the oops down and keep you safe. It's not that hard but you must be detail oriented and take it seriously.

I make check lists with each step and print one off for each lot I'm doing.

Good Luck!

Justin

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Be cautious of reviews. They are usually initial opinions, usually from the inexperienced, and not scientific/systematic evaluations at all. Read how many are posting reviews of products immediately after opening the box...some post before the product arrives and are no more than '...look what I bought...'.
I agree. But with Respect I must say there are articles out there that show how the forster co ax is considered number 1 when it comes to single stage reloading. There are some good detailed reviews in there though.

When it comes to the Progressive I would go with the Dillon with out a doubt.

·
"Death From Above"
11,696 Posts
I went with a late 1960's Hollywood turret press. If I were to buy a current turret press it would be the redding T7. Just love the turret press for my set up. You can mount multiple dies on the press. I have mine set up with .223-308 and 30-06 right now and two rcbs de-capping dies. Mine has eight stations. If another one became available I would buy it. They are still sold new for $1000. I got mine for 420. Ancient but built to last forever. I think the turret presses give you a little of both worlds, single stage and progressive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts