M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,531 Posts
Aloha Dutchman2:

I use military brass (new preferable), CCI mil spec primers, IMR 4895 or 4064 and Sierra MK 168 HPBT bullets. I will post my powder charge only for posting purposes, every reloaded should start at the minimum charge weight recommended and work their way up...

I use 42.5 gr. of 4895 normally and they seem to work well in my M14 type rifles. I also got excellent performance from 41.5 gr. to 42.5 gr of 4895 and it also seems to work well in my bolt rifle as well... I also use Fed. GM Match or Winchester Supreme Match ammo as a yardstick to compare group sizes.

I hope this helps, be safe, be careful but have fun!!!

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

· Registered
3,531 Posts
Aloha Dan,

I am a believer of starting at the minimum and working my way up with powder charges. Sometimes after making a batch of each (usually 10-20 of each load) I take them down to the range and test them for a specific rifle and I will stop immediately if I see or suspect that my loads are displaying any negative symptoms... such as flattened primers, broken case necks, etc.

All rounds NOT fired that day will be pulled and emptied to prevent me from using that ammo that might be unsatisfactory. Any bad cases or suspect cases, I run across are simply discarded. They are not worth thinking about.

Good advice! I believe in being "safe than sorry".

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.