M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some experience in reloading, but I've never done it for a semi-auto rifle. I was wondering what kind of loads you use for target shooting. The closest range to me only goes out to 200 yards, so I dont need anything too hot, basically I'm just looking for grains of powder and what type of primers you use. I'd regularly be using Winchester primers for my bolt rifles, but what works for you guys in the semi auto? Thanks.

Oh and also, slam fires, what are the possibilites of occurance/how to avoid.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The best way to not have a slamfire, is using hardprimers like the once from CCI. They are great in my opinion, and I use them for my M14, Carbine and Garand.
I reload 42 grains of Vitha Vuori N140 with a 146 gr Nato bullet (FMJ) or a 168gr Sierra Match King.
I trim the case at 51 millimeters exectly, and for the Nato bullet, the total lenght is 71 millimeter.
I clean, before reloading, all cases 1/2 h in a case tumbler, and after that 1/2 h they goes thru the dies. After I sized them, I put them back in the thumbler for 3,5 hour. After that, I give the neck a heat treatment (with a gasflame heating the neck of the case till its darkred, and than drop it in a bucked of water.) The case is now tension free, and reduces the chance on a splitted neck. This is not realy nececary, but I do it because some cases splitted after I had them in stock for 2 years.
When I fill the case, I always crimp the neck with a lee factory crimp die. This reduce the change that the bullet flying forward when your rifle cycles the round. It works exectly like a kinetic bullet puller hammer. I do this for the Garand and the M14 because they are very rough during the action.
After all this, I paint the primer red with the nailpolish from my girlfriend so I recongize my cases between all the others on the range.

I hope this helps you,

Greets,

Roger

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh, I forgot. I found out that Winchester primers are soft, compairing to the CCI's I use now. The same for Federal.
Good luck, and play save!

greets,

Roger

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Dutchman2:

I use military brass (new preferable), CCI mil spec primers, IMR 4895 or 4064 and Sierra MK 168 HPBT bullets. I will post my powder charge only for posting purposes, every reloaded should start at the minimum charge weight recommended and work their way up...

I use 42.5 gr. of 4895 normally and they seem to work well in my M14 type rifles. I also got excellent performance from 41.5 gr. to 42.5 gr of 4895 and it also seems to work well in my bolt rifle as well... I also use Fed. GM Match or Winchester Supreme Match ammo as a yardstick to compare group sizes.

I hope this helps, be safe, be careful but have fun!!!

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey TomO,

Thanks, but........... IMR is hard to get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use Vitha Vuori N140 for the M14. Between the 41 and 42 grains. It depends what bullet I use. Normaly, 42 grains with a Nato bullet shoots the most clean and accurate, Some guys on BR.com says that i should use N135 8O , but in my opinion is that powder to fast. N135 works great in a M16, but a 308 rifle.... And, BTW, the loading tables of Vitha don't mention N135 for .308 (only with 100 grains bullets I thought).
I alway's play save with ANY game :roll: , so also with reloading. I like reloading and I take my time for it. Anyway The charges I gif are also for own risk ofcourse :wink: .
I I can catch a bottle of IMR, I will try your load.

Greets and thanks,

Roger

·
Banned
611 Posts
winchester primers are not soft. I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion but they are far from soft. I had a good worn out old test rifle too to test out my idea of soft. It had a weak firing pin spring. CCi 34 and winchester were the only ones that wouldn't fire in it. rem fed and some other brand I tried, I think it was cci br all fired no problem. I have loaded every round almost that ever went in my m-14, well over 40,000 and never had a slamfire with winchesters but it once burped off half a mag with cci br primers. That was when I switched to winchester. I tried the 34 primers once in a heavy barreled target rifle I had and they turned in really bad groups compared to the winchester so I gave them up. They are ok though if you don't expect much more than moa accuracy but if you are after serious accuracy try win or in a bolt gun try br primers.
If you are concerned about slamfires then the most important thing , even more important than primers is to make sure your cases are properly fitted to your rifle. You need to do this for a 14 or m1. once you have and you are sure the die is right them lock the lockring down with locktight and I paint a line on mine to make sure I will know if it ever does move. I also use that line to make sure it is indexed right avery time on the press.
I wrote an artical all about how I set up the sizing die if you are interested.
Oh another major rule of reloading is never use someone elses load data. always start at minimum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Dan,

I am a believer of starting at the minimum and working my way up with powder charges. Sometimes after making a batch of each (usually 10-20 of each load) I take them down to the range and test them for a specific rifle and I will stop immediately if I see or suspect that my loads are displaying any negative symptoms... such as flattened primers, broken case necks, etc.

All rounds NOT fired that day will be pulled and emptied to prevent me from using that ammo that might be unsatisfactory. Any bad cases or suspect cases, I run across are simply discarded. They are not worth thinking about.

Good advice! I believe in being "safe than sorry".

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts