M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I purchased a vintage Hollywood Senior turret press. I absolutely love this press. It was a little more expensive than what I had planed on paying for a press but I got a good deal on it off ebay. New they cost 1k. I picked it up for 425. I was always under the impression that I would not be able to use this press to insert primers. I recently discovered that it is capable to insert them. I often wondered what the 5/16 hex screws was for under the ram, well I finally figured it out, that is where the primer rod gets installed. Well I discover that a guy on ebay makes them and has them available all the time. He sells it with a shell holder as well as individually. Both large and small primer rods. As I was surfing around ebay last week I found two vintage primer rods both sizes. I watched and one them for a decent price. I also discovered if anyone is looking for them, Hollywood still makes them but the guy that owns the company is down for the count with a detached retina.
They were delivered in the mail today and i couldn't wait to see how they worked. To my disappointment something is not quite right, which bring me here to the reloading experts I have come to rely on for advice. I have to tell you that I am using a RCBS universal type H universal shell holder. I think that is the root of the problem. I installed the primer rod and it does not rise through the shell holder far enough to insert a primer. (See pic) I am assuming it is because I am using the universal shell holder. I am not sure if I can use just anyones shell holder because the ram is pretty thick. The stem on the universal is 1.25 inches long and the 1/2 inch deep nut only gets the 1/4 inch purchase on the threads on the stem. It is secure enough in the bushing on the ram, what I need to find out is if the stems on the various companies shell holders are long enough to fit through the hole and if they have enough threads to secure the nut.
So my questions are this, do you think it is the universal shell holder that is preventing the primer rod from going all the way up into the bottom of the case and does anyone know if there is a standard length for the stems on the various companies shell holders. Here are a couple of pics to describe what I am talking about.
The mystery nut below the ram

Primer rod in place on the press

close up

Pic of the ram fully depressed on the universal shell holder, notice it is not coming through the shell holder

Any thought would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I haven't used a press to prime cases in at least 30 years. Looks like you have to put them in that contraption one at a time. Next thing Warren , you are going to be looking for a steam engine to power the thing. My suggestion is to find a nice hand priming tool. Either an RCBS or one of the others that hold a hundred or more primers and go to it. It is nice to "feel " when the primer is bottomed out. Looks like maybe the primer rod on your press is adjustable. You may only have to screw the primer bar a little less into the base to get it to work. Don't hurt yourself.
Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I haven't used a press to prime cases in at least 30 years. Looks like you have to put them in that contraption one at a time. Next thing Warren , you are going to be looking for a steam engine to power the thing. My suggestion is to find a nice hand priming tool. Either an RCBS or one of the others that hold a hundred or more primers and go to it. It is nice to "feel " when the primer is bottomed out. Looks like maybe the primer rod on your press is adjustable. You may only have to screw the primer bar a little less into the base to get it to work. Don't hurt yourself.
Semper Fi
Art
A+ on your response Art.(I like the part about the steam engine)
Warren, Because you are having to remove the primer crimps on the brass you have. I also recommend a hand press. I use the RCBS hand priming tool.
The concern I have with using your press with this particular brass is if you do not remove enough of the crimp you can damage the primer or have it go off while you are seating it.
On the other end, the primer pocket is a little too loose and it is hard to get a good feel for seating the primer with the press. This will lead to hot gas getting around the primer and damaging the surface of your rifle bolt.
So more stuff to think about.

Glenn

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
A+ on your response Art.(I like the part about the steam engine)
Warren, Because you are having to remove the primer crimps on the brass you have. I also recommend a hand press. I use the RCBS hand priming tool.
The concern I have with using your press with this particular brass is if you do not remove enough of the crimp you can damage the primer or have it go off while you are seating it.
On the other end, the primer pocket is a little too loose and it is hard to get a good feel for seating the primer with the press. This will lead to hot gas getting around the primer and damaging the surface of your rifle bolt.
So more stuff to think about.

Glenn

Warren, since you have all the accessories for the press, you might as well play with it awhile. I'm also thinking that adjusting the mystery nut will allow your rod to move further up into shellholder. I'll agree with geepee that it is harder to get a feel when the primer is seated thru the press handle than it is to use a hand primer tool. I use the RCBS Universal tool while watching TV. Never had a problem. dozier

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mystery nut gets removed from the press and the primer rods get screwed in. I just have to laugh hard with you comments about by dinosaur. It is so funny. I am still smiling. Now you have me wondering if I can put a steam engine on it, there has to be an attachment somewhere out there I will keep my eye open on ebay.
I did manage to get hold of the guy that makes the primer rods and shell holders and sells them on ebay. He knew what the problem was right away and explained it to me. There is a dimensional difference between the redding, rcbs, ect universal shell holders and the hollywood shell holders. I am waiting confirmation but it sounds like I can purcase his universal shell holders and use them on my rcbs universal h type ram holder and or buy the individual standard shell holders he makes. Either way it sort of defeats one of my ideas about resizing the brass using the redding competition shell holders and priming on the down stroke. I will have to do it in a separate operation now. I seriously don't mind taking my time doing these different operations.
I was wondering about my brass and weather or not it is crimped. It is commercial winchester brass that Black Hills uses and I really don't see any crimp on either the .223 or 308 brass. I am a little concerned about what was mentioned regarding hot gasses passing by the primer. Bolts are not cheap and I dont want to have to lap another one into the receiver if I dont have to. I plan on getting a primer poket uniforming tool. Seems as though this might make the pocket even looser if done wrong that is if they remove material from the sides, I figure they dont.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I was wondering about my brass and weather or not it is crimped. It is commercial winchester brass that Black Hills uses and I really don't see any crimp on either the .223 or 308 brass. I am a little concerned about what was mentioned regarding hot gasses passing by the primer. Bolts are not cheap and I dont want to have to lap another one into the receiver if I dont have to. I plan on getting a primer poket uniforming tool. Seems as though this might make the pocket even looser if done wrong that is if they remove material from the sides, I figure they dont.
Warren,
First let me say I mentioned some of the realities of reloading(good and bad) to keep you and your rifle safe. And I would be troubled if you where not concerned about some these issues. Reloading is a serious endeavor.

O.K. with that said, time to post some pictures for you to show and explain some differences in primer pocket prep. I know, I should of posted this in your last tread. But while I have your attention......

First set of pics are of a primer pocket uniformer and a primer pocket reamer.

A close examination of the heads shows the difference. The uniformer blades are sharp on the front to uniform the depth of the primer pocket. To use properly, insert uniformer in the primer pocket and rotate when you make contact with the bottom of the pocket. The reason I am telling you not to rotate the tool until you make contact with the base of the pocket is. We had a member hook up a uniformer to a drill press. And while the uniformer was spinning, engaged the primer pocket and scored the sides of the primer pockets letting gas to shoot back at his bolt. Now I use a small Skil pistol style scew driver to uniform my primer pockets. I do not touch the trigger until the uniformer is all the way in.
The primer pocket reamer has blades on the sides, none on the face. So it will cut the pocket side walls. I never had any problem with it opening up the pockets too much. I do need to get a new one though. My GGG brass ruined this one(Lyman's).
Last set of pics is the RCBS primer pocket swager. This tool reshapes the primer pocket and is used in a press.

This type, RCBS and Dillon need to be adjusted right or you can open the primer pocket too much.

Now that you have seen these tools and how they shape the primer pocket. This gets us to the importance(At least to me) of using a hand priming tool and getting a "feel" of how it seats the primer. If the primer pocket seats too easy for me or just feels "funny". I will shoot some CLP in the case to deactivate the primer and toss the case in the recycle bin.
I apologize for being long winded.
I hope this helps you.
Glenn

·
Registered
744 Posts
OK I have one of these beasts. I'll check tomorrow if what I say is right. The press uses its own shell holder, I have several all diferent sizes, they screw in and you need to change them when you go to another caliber. If you have these your in good shape. I found it to much trouble and now use a hand primmer. Like I said I'll double check tomorrow after I return from the gun show.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warren,
First let me say I mentioned some of the realities of reloading(good and bad) to keep you and your rifle safe. And I would be troubled if you where not concerned about some these issues. Reloading is a serious endeavor.

O.K. with that said, time to post some pictures for you to show and explain some differences in primer pocket prep. I know, I should of posted this in your last tread. But while I have your attention......

First set of pics are of a primer pocket uniformer and a primer pocket reamer.

A close examination of the heads shows the difference. The uniformer blades are sharp on the front to uniform the depth of the primer pocket. To use properly, insert uniformer in the primer pocket and rotate when you make contact with the bottom of the pocket. The reason I am telling you not to rotate the tool until you make contact with the base of the pocket is. We had a member hook up a uniformer to a drill press. And while the uniformer was spinning, engaged the primer pocket and scored the sides of the primer pockets letting gas to shoot back at his bolt. Now I use a small Skil pistol style scew driver to uniform my primer pockets. I do not touch the trigger until the uniformer is all the way in.
The primer pocket reamer has blades on the sides, none on the face. So it will cut the pocket side walls. I never had any problem with it opening up the pockets too much. I do need to get a new one though. My GGG brass ruined this one(Lyman's).
Last set of pics is the RCBS primer pocket swager. This tool reshapes the primer pocket and is used in a press.

This type, RCBS and Dillon need to be adjusted right or you can open the primer pocket too much.

Now that you have seen these tools and how they shape the primer pocket. This gets us to the importance(At least to me) of using a hand priming tool and getting a "feel" of how it seats the primer. If the primer pocket seats too easy for me or just feels "funny". I will shoot some CLP in the case to deactivate the primer and toss the case in the recycle bin.
I apologize for being long winded.
I hope this helps you.
Glenn
Not as long winded as some of my small novels I write! Lol. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain and take pictures. After seeing a few threads of rifles that have blown up in the users hands over the last few years I understand and appreciate you reiterating the importance of paying attention and the propped procedures and teqniques. Safety is number one in my book as well. Loose primer pockets is a big concern for me just as much as case length and overall length. I understand the importance very much. I am still reading different books on the subject but there is nothing like hearing different first hand experiences from people that are regulars at it not to mention friends that will take the time to answer all my silly questions and keep answering them. Out of all the factory BH ammo I have shot, approx 2500 rounds, I did have one primer blow out or fall out as the round ejected. I am hoping I can "get the feel" while using the press. It looks big but is actually quite sensitive.
On another note, I did some measuring on the redding shell holder inserts and the primer cup on the primer rods and figured out the problem. The redding shell holders have and inside diameter of .260 +/- a couple of thousandths and the outside diameter of the Hollywood primer rods is .308+/- - couple of thousandts depending where you measure. Basically 5/16ths of an inch. The shell holders are hardened steel, so tomorrow I plan on picking up a carbide bit and drill the id to 5/16ths and see how they work. Monday I am going to give redding a call and see if they can make a custom set of there competition shell holders with the 5/16ths id. If not, depending on tomorrows outcome I will drill them out. I'm pretty sure this will work considering the shell holders will still have a beveled edge where the primer rod cup mates up against the shell holder. Seems like a pretty easy fix that will allow me to march forward using the competition shell holders as origonally planned. I had a feeling modern day components might be a problem using this press but it is the bed I chose to lay in and I'll eventually work it all out. Besides it gives me a great excuse to buy the drill press I have always wanted.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I have one of these beasts. I'll check tomorrow if what I say is right. The press uses its own shell holder, I have several all diferent sizes, they screw in and you need to change them when you go to another caliber. If you have these your in good shape. I found it to much trouble and now use a hand primmer. Like I said I'll double check tomorrow after I return from the gun show.
Thanks Al! If you do find that you have a couple of original Hollywood shell holders do me a favor and check the inside diameter of them. I'm hoping it reads .308-.310 or 5/16ths. Have a good time at the show!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes I was right, in the picture you see the primming arm through the shell holder. Also in the picture is another holder setting near. And the universal, what you could do is drill a larger hole in the RCBS or other brand shell holder to allow the primming arm to pass.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL Gary, I don't have to look that far just look back to post #13. LOL I am not under the bus with the universal, I have a plan. I am going to try a local machine shop to see if it can be drilled to 5/16. If the geometry works with the universal. I will get the competition shell holders done or see about getting them custom made.

Al I have done nothing but decap primers so far. How do you like the press??? You don't see to many people with them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I also have a Senior Turret (and several other Hollywoods).

The problem is either:

A. The primer arm isn't long enough. Hollywood made different lengths for their different presses, and I can't remember off-hand if the one made for the Senior is the same as for the Senior Turret, although I believe it might be. I am at work now and can't check.

B. The primer cup is too fat and won't fit thru the hole in the H-ram. You have an original primer arm. Aftermarket arms available on Ebay (I have one) have thinner walls. Lots of companies made shell-holders like these for their early presses (Hollywood, CH, RCBS, Lyman, Wells, Texan, etc).

I use a universal H-ram made by CH, as well as Hollywood single-use shell-holders; don't have one made by RCBS.

I will check and get back to you.

Also, if you are missing your tie bar, I know someone who makes them and should have them for sale on Ebay shortly. He is sending me one to make sure it is the correct length. I just resized 1k .308 cases fired in a MG and had to use the tie bar-equipped Senior Turret to get the cases to the correct dimension so my M1A would take them. All my other presses flexed.

Lastly, if you want a Hollywood shell-holder for .308/30-06, I may have extras. They are also available on Ebay (#1 size).

Note to all: Anyone wanting to know more about Hollywood presses should goto the Cast Boolits web site and look in the Reloading section. I am active there.

Post Script: I looked at that second picture and saw that the Senior Turret has its own primer arm. However, the shorter one "might" work. More later.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
As far as crimped primer pockets; try priming a case. You'll find out immediately. Either they go in smoothly without a fuss, or they're crimped.

I'd buy a hand priming tool. I like the Lee one. It's cheap and last pretty long (10k or so). I prefer to avoid handling primers and it gives you more sensitivity as far as the actual seating goes.

Cool press. I have a Lyman All-American which looks similar in design. It's not big on leverage though. I use it for my 25-20 and 44-40 jobs. Bought the conversion from Lyman to use standard shell-holders.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am pretty sure the two primer rods I have are long enough only they don't fit through the universal shell holders that I purchased from rcbs. The rcbs holders are .260 ID and I need .312 or 5/16. Believe it or not Hollywood was bought and still makes the Sr Turret press and accessories. The only problem is the guy had eye surgery last week and won't be making anything for a couple of months. I bought the tie bar and a turret handle from him. Is your buddy on eBay the same guy who makes the primer rods, shell holders and universal shell holders for the Hollywood? I was going to order the standard shell holders from eBay, I wrote to the guy and he said that the ones he makes have a 5/16 ID and will work. However, I also called Hollywood and the guys wife said there universal holders also have a 5/16 ID and will work. I need to do something soon! I'm ordering the rest of the items I need from redding this month. I'll reply to your pm! Want to talk!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is your buddy on eBay the same guy who makes the primer rods, shell holders and universal shell holders for the Hollywood?
Those are three separate people.

And nothing against the current Hollywood owner, but he doesn't have a good rep for reliability. Based on what I know, I would only do business w/ him FTF when I could exchange money for product.

I am going to PM you my cell number. We may be able to do business.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Howdy I have a Senior Turret and other Hollywoods as well. I encountered the same problem. I found that by using the primer post that is pictured in Kevins post; the second from the left works. The "rounded" ones are larger like you say and will not pass through an RCBS holder.
However, I did find that it would pass through a Redding I believe. The holder was unmarked but did have a larger diameter hole. The holder was knurled all the way around, so that leads me to believe that it is a Redding.

I bought some primer posts from Gerald out of Oregon and they did not work with RCBS holders either. Now I never brought it to his attention. Maybe he can modifiy it. I don't know.
I needed some mods for my Universal Hollywoods and he was unable to do it.

Now to those guys bent on hand priming and "feel". Obviously you have Never "felt" a Hollywood! It is one of those things that make a Hollywood a "Hollywood"! Hollywoods are just not all Beef. The priming is a Dream! A Dream that is a reality that you can "feel".

Best of Luck

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi storm. I know what you are saying about the feel you get with this press. I managed to get three shellholders from ch4d. One already had the 5/16 hole the other two they drilled out. I also pocked up a 1 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 in collar adapter. I'm going to try out the hornandy lock and load system and see how it works. I think this machine is amazingly sensitive

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.