M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I starting to reload for the AR. I have only been reloading for the M1A, 7MM, and the 45ACP until now. I have a couple sweet loads that chrono very consistent for the M14 ES 21 SD 7. I have a new AR. It is my first AR I worked up 5 loads 10 rounds each and got very inconstant data. ES were 60 to 100, SD were 30's +-. I am using the same procedure I normally use cases trimmed, sized, primed, weighted every charge, seated the bullet to COL, used the Lee factory crimp Die. is there a trick at reloading for the AR? I used 3 different powders RL 7, H355, and Varget. I was shooting 55 grain bullets with the RL7, and H355, and 69 SMK's with the Varget. I got a few good groups. Please Advise!DI5

Arty ... Out

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Twist 1/7

it is a 20" barrel with 1/7 Twist.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You may also want to try Ramshot TAC powder. I hear it is designed for the AR platform in 223/5.56. Also, 55 grain bullets may be a little light for the 1 in 7 twist barrel being 20 inches. .223 has been finicky for me too, and continues to be. I have had decent results with the Ramshot powder.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
In the Highpower rifle competition world, 24-25 grains of Varget under the 69 grain Sierra MK has been a proven load in 20" 1:7 barrels. I've also found it to be a very accurate load in 1:9 twist barrels as well. Actually, I've found the little black rifle extremely easy to load for.

What is your expectation for accuracy? The ARs are quite accurate for gas guns but unless it sports a match barrel and float tube, groups of less than 3/4 MOA is stretching the limits on the platform.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
You might consider buying a pound of AA2230 and giving it a try
It meters better Shoot Fantastic out of All my AR's

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
BLC-2 works out pretty good for me, over a 55gr FMJ. Not match accuracy, but better than M855.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In the Highpower rifle competition world, 24-25 grains of Varget under the 69 grain Sierra MK has been a proven load in 20" 1:7 barrels. I've also found it to be a very accurate load in 1:9 twist barrels as well. Actually, I've found the little black rifle extremely easy to load for.

What is your expectation for accuracy? The ARs are quite accurate for gas guns but unless it sports a match barrel and float tube, groups of less than 3/4 MOA is stretching the limits on the platform.
This. Out of the box, don't expect much under 1.5" @ 100yds, unless it is a NM gun. With the right loads/conditions/attitude/breakfast I've been getting around 1". Very few 5 shot groups under 1", most between 1-2. This is in a standard armalite A2 20" 1:9, with about 2500 rounds downrange.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Winchester small rifle primers worked great with my Varget loads. Remington 7.5s are very good performers and are popular among HP shooters.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
This. Out of the box, don't expect much under 1.5" @ 100yds, unless it is a NM gun. With the right loads/conditions/attitude/breakfast I've been getting around 1". Very few 5 shot groups under 1", most between 1-2. This is in a standard armalite A2 20" 1:9, with about 2500 rounds downrange.
That's about what I get with my H-Bar at 100M with 55grn surplus and my first handloads with H335 under the 55grn. As I understand it, I should get better performance with 62grn bullets so that is where I'm at now. I plan on burning up the rest of my 55grn surplus, too, and just going to 62grn across the board.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
Your SD in the 30's is pretty high for hand-built rounds. I'm guessing you knew that or you wouldn't have posted the data. There has to be some inconsistency between rounds and several things could cause that. Is it the same brand of brass? New brass? Range brass? Do the bullets weigh about the same? Consistent primer seating? Primer pockets uniformed? Flash hole deburred? The usual suspects.

And I personally would also ditch the crimp.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What kind of bullets are you using. 55gr fmj are not known for high levels of accuracy.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Crimping the ammo can also cause inconsistent velocity because of differing neck tension. That may explain the velocity issues.

Crimping isn't necessary.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going to try

I will ditch the crimp.
The brass is all the same WW-N
the primers are WSR
the bullets were HDY V-Max
this was not a role crimp but Lee Factory Crimp

Thanks for the Advise!DI5

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I will say that my .223 hunting load is the 62g Vmax over a stout charge of Varget with Winchester SR primer. That load is a flat out hammer out of my Colt 1:7 20" A2. Plenty accurate enough for 400yd varmit shots.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It could be anything. I'll be honest I don't care for a 1/7 twist this really limits you to the heavier bullets. My friend is going through what you are. He has a 20" whiteoak 1/7 and so far 1" groups are the best he can get but just barely.he has been using rl-15 and Varget. His velocity was fairly lower too. So far he has tried 69 smk 55vmaxs and now trying the 77smk. I have a 24" bull barrel kit with 1/9 twist that loves 50 gr nosler BT and Vmaxs, 55 shoot good but not as well as the 50's. My accuracy load is 23.0 gr RL-10 50noslerBT velocity is around 3150ish. I also use BLC-2 for bulk loading and H-335 for 52gr SMKs in my bolt gun. I had no luck with Ramshot Tac or 68gr Hornady match bullets. I too have Lee crimp die but no longer use it, I found accuracy to be just as good with out it. As for ES SD I remember my numbers being higher than expected but didn't impact my rifles performance. With the 50Noslers I can shoot .5" 5 shot groups and keep them under an inch all day long. I don't think your doing anything wrong you just haven't hit the sweet spot yet. Try heavier bullets first and may have to use a different powder as well. Oh I load most bullets to a COAL of 2.26 this feeds perfect in my mags.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will keep working.

I have not put enough rounds through it to even get a good feel for the accuracy. I am getting OK groups I am only shooting irons, I will barrow a Friends detachable scope to check accuracy later but thought i could get a feel with the irons and chrono. I am so used to getting SD in the 18/21 range and SD in the 5/7 range. these high # numbers just through me. I have some 55 A-Max under 23gr AA2520 I am going to try. I am also going to buy some 62/63 gr serria bullets to try.DI5
Arty Out

·
Registered
622 Posts
While low ES and SD can indicate consistency they don't always mean the will be your most accurate loads. I have a load in my 6.5x47 that has single digits but groups worse than another load with numbers in the 30-40 range. All I am saying is let the paper do the talking not the chronograph.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts