M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start loading for three M1A's and I've been searching the forums here about loads and am getting mixed opinions about bullet weights and powders. I'm going to be loading for an M1A scout, a National Match, and my M21. I plan on using Varget powder in all three. I've read that Varget isn't too great in gas guns because it creates too much pressure? I've also heard a ton of good things about the Accurate 2520 "camp perry powder". Has anyone compared the two?

An experienced opinion on this would really be appreciated. I plan on shooting 175gr sierra match kings in my M21 and we are unsure to use the 168 or 175's in the national match since I've heard they like 168's better. GI3

·
Registered
975 Posts
A2520 is a ball powder with a similar burning rate as Varget. Varget is an extruded powder. A2520 has been sourced from several countries over the years. The most recent production is Belgian-made and it's so new I haven't tried it yet. It is different from the Czech-made version which may still be in stock and sold at a lot of places. I use Varget in 30-06 for the Garand. It can work in the M-14 but can produce too much gas if loaded hot. I haven't used it much in 7.62 but I found the loads that were acceptable were close to IMR-4895 loads. The Czech version of A2520 is a bit faster than even older versions (Israeli) and loads to similar charge weights as IMR-4895 also. Varget may give the lowest chamber pressure but also slightly lower velocities too. Trying to bring that up results in a lot of gas at the gas port. I really IMR-4064, especially with heavier bullets but it's not so easy to measure. H4895 makes the least gas and isn't bad as long as it makes enough gas, which requires fairly hot loads. A2495 is made in Canada at the same plant as IMR-4895 and the only difference I can tell is without a flash hider A2595 makes a of of flash and IMR-4895 seems to have flash retardant.

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
Here is some load data that I have posted in the past REMEMBER do your own load work up, I can tell you in 99.9% of all rifles there safe but what works good in mine may not work in yours. These listed loads are mild in preasure in my rifles!!

Varget is a slow burning powder thats close to IMR-4064 in burn rate, like any late blooming powder one must keep a eye on not overloading the case too much powder overloads the gas system opening a big can of worms we don't need or want.

I use military cases, if you are loading comercial cases you will need too add about +1.0grs of powder to acheve the same M/V. US Military ammo M/V was measured at 78ft from the barrel and 7.62mm Match(M-118NM and M-852) is listed as 2550fps, At the muzzle with our RELOADS we are looking for about 2600fps with both the 168gr and 175gr pills theres no need to push them any harder as all that does is beat our rifles.

I strongly advise that if you have access to a chronograph now is the time too use it!

Full Lenth sizing is a must the use of a Small Base sizer may or may not be needed, and if using military cases primer swaging is a must but its a one time job.

Resize your brass and trim to lenth 2.005
I use Winchester Large Std Rifle primers
41.0grs of Varget
Any 168 pill, Nosler shoots just as good as the Sierra just cheaper
COAL of 2.80-2.82
This load gets me a smidge over 2600fps over a chrono and is a great load for your NM and M-21, from 200yds to 600yds on calm days.

For the NM and M-21, 600yds any Long Range fun or when the wind picks up, same case prep as above and a switch too the 175gr pill COAL moves out to 2.82 the 175's are just a tad longer, a bump in the charge to 41.5gr of Varget makes for a great clone load of the current M-118LR ammo.

Yes these COAL will feed from your magizines.

For a great offhand and sitting rapid reduced recoil load this gives the Ar shooters fits, same case prep as above.
41.0grs Varget
WLRP
125 Speer TnT
Coal 2.70

For IMR-4895 and H-4895 powders same case prep and seating depths but charges go 41.5grs for the 125 and 168's, the 175's go 42.0grs

AA2520 isn't the "Camp Perry Powder". IMR DuPont has powdered and WON more Nationals than any maker.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I use all three 2520, Varget and 4895. In my guns 2520 gives me both the best accuracy and velocity. But all guns are different, so what works for me may not work for some one else. You'll have to try them and find the one that works for you. Or in your case each gun might like a different powder. Have fun!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have tried both varget and H4895 with my M1A NM. After much testing I found the best load for MY rifle. LC brass trimmed to 2.005. WW standard primer. 40.5 grains of H4895. Sierra #2200 168 gr. hpbt match. 2.810 overall case length.
consistent sub MOA iron sights from bench rest. Love this load and it will group very tight all day long!

Good luck with your loads and have fun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Varget and AA2520 (and TAC)

Interesting, as I just went thru this last weekend. Check this thread and my range report. YMMV.

http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=94303&highlight=TAC

I've used AA2520 in 30-06 and 7.62x51 for over 20 years. It's a great ball powder especially in a progressive press. I've less experience with Varget, and probably could use more load development in the 7.62, but in general the AA2520 is a better powder in my rifle. My loads start with:
LC 06 cases full length sized trimmed to 2.005";
WIN LR primers;
Hornady 168 HPBT;
COAL 2.800" +-0.002"

The Varget actually feeds well thru an RCBS Uniflo, not as well as ball powders but good enough. Varget loads kicked more than the AA2520, and I need to load the Varget down to 39.5-40.5 grains and see if they give me better results.

Or I could just stay with TAC... (nah, where's the fun in that?)

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I don't consider Varget to be equal to IMR 4895 or 4064 for the .30 cal has guns, or even cost-effective, unless it's already your go-to powder for 5.56 x 45. Phil's recipes pretty well optimize Varget's potential. If you need more velocity to tighten your groups, you'd best go with something else.

·
Registered
84 Posts
42.0 gr Varget
Win brass
WLR primers
168gr Hornady A-Max
M1A match built rifle, Kreiger heavy barrel 1:10".
This is what worked best for me. Just as accurate as loads with BLC2, IMR-4064 and TAC.
I like Varget because it measures evenly for me, and is plenty accurate. Also good load in a friends AR-10 and bolt gun.

My load was worked up out of the Hornady manual for 308 service rifle.
Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha mixed opinions about best powders and stuff but of course like you guys all have said it depends on the rifle. Thanks for the input this should give me a great place to start my loads!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts