M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. I am new to this site. I recently received an M1A Scout Squad as wells as an M1A National Match. I want to start reloading my own ammunition for accuracy and also for plinking. Does anybody have a suggestion for any good recipes? Thank you! JMPWNG2 USARMY-1

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
41.3 gr IMR-4895
168 gr Nosler CC BTHP or SMK
FC NATO Case
CCI 34 Primer
OAL 2.82"

41.1 gr IMR-4895 for 175 gr SMK
Everything else is the same

Start at 40.5 and work up to 41.5. Depending on the case of course. I use once-fired LC or FC NATO brass. You are looking to push these about 2550 - 2640 FPS.

Look for pressure signs when you near 41.5 gr. Your most accurate load will be below these charges.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the information. What do you mean when you say OAL? I have a few hundred SIE 168 BTHP. Do you still suggest the same recipe?

·
Registered
961 Posts
OAL is Overall All Length of the finished product.

My recipe:

40 grains of IMR 4895
CCI 34 primer
Sierra or Hornady 168 grain HPBT
LC brass
Cartridge trimmed to 51mm or 2.007"
OAL 2.80"

I too would suggest you start low around 39.5 and work up to where you are satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Mr. Jitters

Do you know what velocity you are getting from that 40.0 gr IMR-4895 load?????

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
First off...welcome to the forum, you will find that question has many many answers, everyone has a different load for different applications...get some reloading books and start from there. Have fun with your new addiction.MCORPS1 Feel free to scroll down to Pacific Shooters at the bottom of the page and let us know who you are.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Mr. Jitters

Do you know what velocity you are getting from that 40.0 gr IMR-4895 load?????
I don't as I do not own a chrono. I should clarify things a bit. I am still working up my loads, so I have not necessarily settled on 40.0 grains. I seem to like it though for the following reasons.

Due to lots of snow, my shooting club had the pistol and 50 yard range open only. Using my 40 grain loads I got good 1" groups right on the mark. So far so good. Remember I have only had this rifle now for about 3 weeks so I still have a lot of work to do.

The rounds feed fine and the action works flawlessly and the brass is ejected out about 4 feet from my postition.

The brass looks great, a few dings from the ejection process, but otherwise no pressure marks and no hint of preliminary case separation using the paper clip method.

I will settle on an optimum load for me for 100 yards only. My eyes will permit me little more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome Hammonje,
One of the better reloading manuals, I think, is put out by Hornady, their 7th Edition. They have a seperate entry for our M1A as opposed to normal .308 loads. According to their charts, 40 grns. of IMR 4895 behind the 168 pill moves along at 2400 fps at the muzzle. To echo our brother, do get a reputable manual and do not rely on others for your safety. Have fun!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Note the Hornady #7 service rifle load data is using commercial brass. Military LC brass will give higher velocities.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Welcome EN13 LTGI6 If you are new to reloading, by all means pick up a good reloading manual. All the major bullet manufacturers have their own. All will give step by step guides on the reloading process as well as info on powders and primers, glossaries, bullet drop tables etc. You will learn a lot from them.BRSTBOMB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts